Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 09:06 AM

Default Chance to grab a stack or just poor play?

No HH on account of being at the working place.
PP $50 NLHE.
I have ~61
SB has ~44
I'm on the button. Three limpers to me, I have 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I limp. SB minraises to $1, all call

($5.25)

Been playing at this table for about an hour. SB has been doing this thing all night where he minraises in the blinds. 3 out of 4 hands he has shown after doing this have been big Pocket Pairs (10s, Ks, As) I've been fairly tight and have only shown 2 strong hands. So I'm thinking this may be an opportunity to surprise him if I hit this flop. Obviously I should fold pre-flop but occassionally we gotta mix it up right? If I don't hit it hard, I'm out of the hand (and out $1)

Flop comes 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets $2, 2 folds, MP+1 raises to $5, I raise to $15, SB raises all-in (~$39), MP+1 folds, I...
Old 08-16-2005, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Chance to grab a stack or just poor play?

No - dont fold this preflop. Never. I may even be tempted to raise on the button preflop here, but limping is good, especially with the 3 limpers before you. Folding here is terrible imo. The call of the raise is also a no-brainer. Your implied odds of hitting the flop hard are big, especially if you think SB has a likely overpair.

So you hit the flop, you should just concentrate on taking SBs stack. Its you against him, easy push!

Ojo_Rojo
Old 08-16-2005, 09:18 AM

If these are big pairs that he's mini-raising from the blinds with, I'm calling on the Button all the time with 89s, probably even up to a 4xBB raise. He seems like the kind of player to go all-in with an overpair - would he do that with, say, JJ here? I think you got your perfect flop against a big pair, and it's a great time to get his stack. With MP+1 folding, I think this is an easy call. There's a chance he has a set of 8s or 9s, but those chances are small considering what you're holding, and the fact that many players would be willing to push with 1010-AA here.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:14 AM

Totally agreee - just one bit I donīt get ...

[ QUOTE ]
I may even be tempted to raise on the button preflop here,

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do that? I wanna see the flop with as many players as possible... The raise is likely to shut people out? Donīt we want to see that flop with as many players as possible to extract as much money as possible (if the hand hits)to make it a profitable play ?

Just curious about your thoughts...
Old 08-16-2005, 10:17 AM

this is the easiest call ever. Given your read, he probably has a big pocket pair. His chances of having 88 or 99 are unlikely given that you have one, so there is only one combination of those hands he could have, and a whole bunch of combinations of 10 10 - AA. Also the MP raise makes me think he has at least one of those cards as well making it impossible for him to have one of the 88 or 99's.

I'm thinking you are dodging a non 8 or 9 board pairing to counterfeit your hand.

Hope it worked out.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking you are dodging a non 8 or 9 board pairing to counterfeit your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice read. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I hope everyone doesn't take the result of this as a bad beat post. I posted this because I thought I made a decent play (and it seems that there are people that agree with me so that's reassuring) and maybe actually took a step further in my "poker development" and I wanted to confirm that. I feel very confident that my skills are improving. I'm no longer playing 'robotically'... *and* I've been working hard on being able to narrow down opponent's ranges and I think it's paying off.

I made the right read on this guy and I got the result I wanted (Had the chance to grab his stack) just ran into some bad luck.

Now I have one more trick in my bag. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Oh yeah...The board paired 5s and his pocket Qs took the pot. *sigh*
Old 08-16-2005, 10:43 AM

Youre probably right to question my raise here, actually, considering the number of limpers in the pot already.

But raising on the button with hands like this does have its advantages. (Player dependent, of course [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

If, after raising, the hand is still multiway on the flop, we still get our good implied odds as before.

If no-one calls, great.

Against one, or two opponents, there's some dead money in the pot, and you often have the choice to take a free turn when everyone checks to you on the flop, or to bet and hopefully take down the pot straight away. If you hit the flop hard, your hand is disguised, and you have position throughtout the hand.

Another side benefit is the unpredictability factor, possibly giving you more customers on your better starting hands.

Ojo_Rojo
Old 08-16-2005, 10:53 AM

Good solid advice in this thread. Generally raise pf. As it played out, you did just fine on the flop. You were ahead when the $$ went in and that is all you can ever hope to do.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:59 AM

is this a full table? 9 or 10?
Old 08-16-2005, 11:01 AM

FWIW, since hero already has the button raising vs not raising pf is no big deal in my book. Depending on how the table is playing I might raise or limp.

If I was in the CO or Hijack with the same amount of limpers it would be a bigger incentive for me to raise PF.