Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2004, 01:28 AM

Default Turn decision: Bet out or go for CR?

Live 15-30, it's been a good game, nice and loose, with moderate aggression.

I'm in the BB this hand. UTG + 1 open-limps. I've seen him open-limp with AQ and AJ, as well as the usual array of limping hands. He's one of the looser and more aggressive post-flop players, though by no means a maniac (more loose than aggressive). We've tangled a few times already, and despite him having position on me I've gotten the best of it so far. The button and SB both limp as well, and I look down to find Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I contemplate raising, since nobody showed aggression so far and I've got a good suited connector, but with only 4 players and poor position I opt to check.

The flop hits me, K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], giving me the open-ender, but with a possible flush draw out there. SB checks. I bet out, reasoning that a decent King would have raised preflop, so my semi-bluff might work. UTG + 1 raises, folding the Button and SB. I call.

Turn is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], meaning I've now got an open-ender + a flush draw. Should I a) Check-call; b) Check with the intention of raising; or c) Bet?

Results in white below:
<font color="white"> I chose B. Unfortunately, I think UTG+1 was on a diamond draw, since he checked behind me. River was another Heart, completing my flush, but he didn't pay off my river bet. In hindsight, I should have suspected the free-card raise, but I was trying to get fancy and win it on the turn with a Checkraise. The one advantage of him taking a free card, though, is that I can narrow down his hand and bet the river as long as no diamond hits; he'll probably fold, meaning I don't need to hit my str8 or flush to win as long as he doesn't hit his hand. </font>
Old 08-21-2004, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Turn decision: Bet out or go for CR?

hi eldukey

i finally figured out how to work the answer in white. you click and drag over the area in white. i did see a litle something....something 'unfortunately', but didn't see the result. also, i'm not sure if the answer in white is a great idea or not.

anyway, just check-call the turn. this opponent won't fold often enough to warrant risking getting raised, and you don't hate the free-card that much since your hand can improve. if you thought that a betout by you miight fold him on the river, you should go for a check-raise, but i don't think that's a good idea. you have this opponent steaming, and he could bluff raise the river as often as he folds. just check and call. check-fold the river unless you improve.