Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2004, 09:15 AM

Default Figure out pot odds 1st, discounted outs 2nd

Hi!

I am new here, I didn’t find anything on this topic in older threads so I’ll give it a try:

I always find it a little awkward to calculate the number of discounted outs first and to compare it with the (implied) pot odds after that.
Since the identification of the implied pot odds is easier to do, more precise and also faster than the discounting of the outs, I would always start with the pot odds to see how many outs I need.
By this procedure I can also save time and fold, whenever I see that the pot odds do not even allow to play on with my not-yet-discounted outs.

What we need for this procedure is a different table and it looks like this:

If you don’t have any additional software like Pokeroffice that shows you the pot odds, you can always expand the table by columns that show you the pot sizes for calls of bets raises and reraises. If done it for the 2$/4$ tables, which I am playing at right now.

Now I am trying to convince the authors of Pokeroffice to simply extend their display of pot odds to the number of required outs. That could save a lot of time and one could purely concentrate on the process of deciding how many outs have to be discounted.

Now I am interested what others think.

Oliver
From Germany
Old 12-27-2004, 05:17 AM

Default Re: Figure out pot odds 1st, discounted outs 2nd

In my poker office I get the odds colored green when the pot odds is larger than the future hands odds and colored red when it's the other way around. I don't know if it is the same, but still a good indication to wether you have enough outs.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Figure out pot odds 1st, discounted outs 2nd

By the way, how do you get the 0.5 outs? Is it when you have 3 of a suite on flop?