Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which is more of a bad beat?
Being Irish 27 61.36%
Being Italian 17 38.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Sunglasses

Old 01-18-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Sunglasses

i think its pretty funny when someone is wearing them and they will stare you down like raymer or moneymaker.they watched poker on TV, and thought thats what your supposed to do i guess. they will usually end up leaving broke.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:14 PM

I would say that they are irrelevant to hiding tells because very few players are looking for tells and I don't think that they hide the obvious tells anyway. I would call wering them at a low limit game unnecessary but I would not discount a players ability just because he wers them. I know some players at least claim that they help the glare from the lights.

I usually have a pair in my pocket and put them on as a joke after an unsuccessful bluff or something. Thay stay on for a hand or two but I can't see the cards when I have them on so thay can't stay on for long.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:20 PM

I saw the worst poker player I've ever seen yesterday at the 6/12 table. He dropped $400 in less than 20 minutes. He played every hand, and he would do wierd things like check-3-bet the turn, then fold the river.

He was wearing sunglasses and when he was re-raised preflop, he'd turn to the person who raised him, ask "You raised me?" and then cock his head and stare them down. What a douche.

He moved to the $100NL a few hands later and was busted there within another 10 minutes and was gone.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:30 PM

I loooooove my sunglasses. Every post about how stupid sunglass-wearing players are makes me love them even more.

I started wearing them for 3 reasons:
1) To observe other players without them knowing it
2) To observe hot chicks without them knowing it
3) I look hot in them

I do not wear them to hide my own tells. I did not learn poker by watching TV; actually I've been wearing them at the tables for many years. I do not stare people down, because it is pointless and delays the game. I totally agree that the negative stereotypes are almost always valid, which is swell by me.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:37 PM

laugh, none of the three things you mentioned changes the fact that you look like an idiot with them on, regardless of whether you are or not.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:40 PM

Well, before it was such a cultural meme, I looked f'n great. Now that everyone's so tired of it, I look just as great, but people are too predisposed to hate it to notice. So, I look great and everyone else thinks I'm an idiot. Best of both worlds.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:11 PM

There was never a time when I thought a person wearing sunglasses indoors under reasonable lighting conditions "looked great."
Old 01-18-2005, 05:14 PM

I suspect that you are not his target audience for looking great, see reason #2 for wearing them. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2005, 05:16 PM

I suspect any of my girl friends would say the same thing. As for reason #2, you might think you're able to check them out, but they know. Also, if you were so inclinded, you immediately have zero chance with them if you're wearing the glasses.