Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2004, 02:49 PM

Default Re: 10x BB all in rule modified?

I like your reasoning. Frankly, late in the MTTs, I hate playing much besides PPs under the gun unless I am making a gutsy steal move. However, I just felt like I needed a double up to ensure my final table status and had not been catching much in the last hour.

The only disagreement I may have with you is that I felt I could catch one of the desparate short stacks with a smaller ace. However, if I had to do it all over again, even not knowing the outcome, I probably make a 3x BB raise and try my chances with the flop.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:13 PM

10xBB in the situation you describe is not a desparate position. I've come all the way back to win from a lot less. The only time I go allin with small-to-medium PPs (even JJ) is when I'm desparate.

You had plenty of orbits left to catch something better.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:56 PM

I did not feel desperate (except to the extent that I was not catching cards) as I had an above average chip stack. However, I thought I might catch a small stack with a smaller ace or even better KQs. However, in retrospect the range of hands likely to call me will almost always make me a dog (like the previous poster mentioned). I don't really want to go into a hand with all my chips at risk when I am among the top 9 out of 23 in chips as a dog.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:01 PM

Sorry, wasn't insinuating that you felt desparate. I was speaking about myself and when I push allin with small or medium PP.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:11 PM

I might be wrong but it sounds like you might be second guessing your decision to go all-in with AK. I don't know what others think but I would absolutely do the same thing. First of all, I'm playing to win and to do so I need to win some blinds and double up. If I bust out, oh well. The real money is made at the top and I want to get there. Secondly, you are only a dog if you are called and there is a good chance you won't be. People are playing very tight at this stage and you can easily win the blinds. And if you do get called, you're in a pretty good spot. You could have someone with a big stack call you with A/lower kicker or KQ. There are only two hands you don't want to see and I'd take my chance.