Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 03:19 PM

Default NL Ring Games

More and more sites are offering these, especially at lower (even micro) limits.
How do these compare to limit ring games and, more importantly, NL tourneys?
Old 07-21-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Re: NL Ring Games

[ QUOTE ]
More and more sites are offering these, especially at lower (even micro) limits.
How do these compare to limit ring games and, more importantly, NL tourneys?

[/ QUOTE ]
Online NL ring games usually have a 100 BB maximum buy-in. The stacks are usually deeper than they are in a NLHE tournament, so you need to use different strategies from the ones you use in tournaments or else buy in short.

NL ring games are quite profitable. Many players report winning 40 big blinds/100 at NL 25, 20 big blinds/100 at NL 100, and perhaps 10 big blinds/100 at NL 400 and above. The standard deviation depends on your playing style, but 80-100 BB/100 may be common. That means NL $100 can give you the win rate of $5-$10 with the variance of $3-$6.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:49 PM

Everything he just said is 100% accurate. but the win rates are a bit less.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:39 AM

My experience is that the low limit NL Ring games are very profitable in regard to BB won per hour. Especially from 10pm to 1am on the weekend. Just be ready for any short stack to go all-in at any time. Your variance will be greater but if you play solid, you'll do very well. Good luck!
Old 07-22-2005, 12:49 AM

Hmm. Interesting. I find NL ring games with less variance and a lot more money.

So far I play 1 table about 1-2 hours daily. I started at $25 and now I am at $200.

My win rake over about 3000 hands is 11.5 BB per 100.

Strangly enough I am finding playing at the $100 and $200 level is easier than the $25 and $50 level. I can read players, put them on hands. Identify the LAG players making too many bluffs.

But I also play pretty aggressive and take down quite a few pots by bluffs a lone and usually once a night I pull off a huge bluff. I am not afraid of losing $400 in one night. I find most players in $100 or $200 (even more) tend not to go all in. They are afraid to lose the cash. In the $200 game I see more 2x BB raises then in the $100 game oddly enough. Its like they are afraid to raise it to $6-$12 facing a large bet on the flop. I just toss chips in when I got the best hand, or not [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I actually do better at NL right now then limit. Go figure.