Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 03:52 PM

Default computer programmers (x-post)

hi all,

i'd like to work on a project to estimate a function that converts chipstack -> expected cash payouts, as described in this 2+2 magazine article . however, i don't know how to do the programming.

if you are interested in working on this with me, that'd be awesome. i'm in touch with an econ professor who may be interested in working on the math side. there is some nonzero chance we could get this published in a legitimate economics journal. pm me if you're interested.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:20 PM

Default empirical study

I would love to work on this, but I have waaaayyy to many committements at the present time. (Maybe if I quit my job...)

However, my intution is that the amount of data necessary to make any meaningful statistical analysis is probably larger than what an individual can reasonably collect. The standard deviation of any measurements you make are likely to be large. To accumulate 10000 tournament results (thus reducing the SD by a factor of 100) would require 156 account-days at 64 tournaments/day. A convincing demonstration might easily require 10x that.

I would also be very interested in seeing an empirical study of folding equity. This is something for which we have various wild-ass guesses, and is very player- and stack size- dependent, but it would be interesting to see if there are ranges in which typical players fall.