Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Is human life more valuable than other forms of life

This is part of something I posted in another thread but thought it might be more appopriate as its own...

Our basic presumption is that a human life is intrinsicaly worth more than a cow, a monkey, an elephant, or a blade of grass. I am no longer certain of this personally.

This does not mean a human life is worthless, or that I would just as soon kill a person as an ant. But i may admit that the only reason I feel more horror at the idea of a dead human is because I am human, not because there is anything more important about being a human (which is probably why so many people can justify slavery or killing those who appear different from them).
I think this basic discussion relates directly to our ideas and preconcieved notions of morality. How do you come to the decision that a human life is intrinsically worth more than another form of life--logically. And if you come to the conclusion, as I have, that it may not be worth more, does this change your notion of morality?
Old 10-27-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Is human life more valuable than other forms of life

In absolute terms, I don't believe a human life is worth more than another being.

But in relative terms, I could say humans have more value to me. Although, I wouldn't necessarily make this blanket statement, personally.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is part of something I posted in another thread but thought it might be more appopriate as its own...

Our basic presumption is that a human life is intrinsicaly worth more than a cow, a monkey, an elephant, or a blade of grass. I am no longer certain of this personally.

This does not mean a human life is worthless, or that I would just as soon kill a person as an ant. But i may admit that the only reason I feel more horror at the idea of a dead human is because I am human, not because there is anything more important about being a human (which is probably why so many people can justify slavery or killing those who appear different from them).
I think this basic discussion relates directly to our ideas and preconcieved notions of morality. How do you come to the decision that a human life is intrinsically worth more than another form of life--logically. And if you come to the conclusion, as I have, that it may not be worth more, does this change your notion of morality?

[/ QUOTE ]

We have opposable thumbs, therefor we have more intrinsic value.

-Gryph
Old 10-27-2005, 04:42 PM

It depends on your perspective. If chance is ultimate, and we are all random particles, then there is no logic to come to the conclusion either way. If God is Ultimate then we have the logic (his decree) that we are superior.

I was trying out my NotReady impersonation. How'd I do?
Old 10-27-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Our basic presumption is that a human life is intrinsicaly worth more than a cow, a monkey, an elephant, or a blade of grass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is the we of your "our".

[ QUOTE ]
I am no longer certain of this personally.

This does not mean a human life is worthless, or that I would just as soon kill a person as an ant.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why on earth should what you believe in at any given moment have anything at all to do with the intrinsic worth of any life, human animal or vegetable. "Is this life worth anyting" "Geeze, I don't know, I will have to go to 2 2 poker to find out what whether or not gorvinator is certain about a given presumption or not!"

[ QUOTE ]
But i may admit that the only reason I feel more horror at the idea of a dead human is because I am human, not because there is anything more important about being a human (which is probably why so many people can justify slavery or killing those who appear different from them).

[/ QUOTE ]

You say "may" but do you? ( I don't actually care as you may have guessed that)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cart before the horse. Your morality led to the initial moral decision. you don't come to moral decision and then see if it should cjhange your morality. I guess I'm missing the point of this bit?

A reply in your prefered format!
Old 10-27-2005, 05:37 PM

The notion that humans are intrinsically more valuable than other forms of life is something that many of us take for granted, in my humble opinion (so I used "our" or "us" to describe that). I don't think very many people would disagree with the assertion that humans in general value human life above other creatures. Yes, this is a moral value judgement.
Coming to understand that this might not be true is, in my opinion, using logic to question morality. If, at the end of the day, you question the basic assumptions of your moral code, you might than change said code. Is that more clear for you?
Old 10-27-2005, 05:52 PM

If there is no distinction between human life and animal life, then your run of the mill cattle slaughterhouse in Dodge City KS is akin to Auswitcz. This is a distinction that many folks in organizations like PETA fail to make.

It is an essential element in Natural Law; Human life is INFINITELY more valuable than animal life. This my friends, is not close.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Our basic presumption is that a human life is intrinsically worth more than a cow, a monkey, an elephant, or a blade of grass.

[/ QUOTE ]

There appears to be no evidence to support this. Certainly, there is no proof that does.

[ QUOTE ]
This does not mean a human life is worthless, or that I would just as soon kill a person as an ant. But I may admit that the only reason I feel more horror at the idea of a dead human is because I am human, not because there is anything more important about being a human (which is probably why so many people can justify slavery or killing those who appear different from them).

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a thought to add to yours: we don’t eat other people either.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is an essential element in Natural Law; Human life is INFINITELY more valuable than animal life. This my friends, is not close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daddyio,

Do you think your statements would hold up if you were atheist?

RJT

p.s. Did you see my other post to you: are you going to the Navy game?
Old 10-27-2005, 06:28 PM

(thread hijack)

Yes, because the idea of Natural Law is not dependent upon divine guidance. The law is "written on the human heart." Whether God wrote it there can be up for believers and atheists to debate, but it is there nonetheless.

As far as the Navy game...which one? LOL...I went to Army but love Notre Dame (dad and brother graduated there)

My folks will be there, so I may try to swing something.