Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Anyone know this??? (random shuffle???)

Hi,

Does anyone know the answer to this...

If I'm sitting at a Party table and let's say I fold my JT hearts preflop (in middle position) to a raise...

and then the flop comes up something great like KQ9 hearts...

How does the shuffle work?

If I would have stayed in... would the cards have been different? Is the shuffle determined second by second... or are the cards shuffled once before all betting?

Meaning... whatever you see on the board once you fold... would have been the cards you would have seen had you stayed in?

I know that was confusing. I hope someone understands what I'm asking.

As usual... thanks for any help or comments offered.

Kindly,
EZ
Old 01-03-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Anyone know this??? (random shuffle???)

it depends on the site, but this is a terrible thing to be wondering. it is rabbit hunting and rabbit hunting is horrible for your game.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:38 PM

so you are asking do they shuffle the cards before the deal or do they randomaly give out cards as they are needed? I am not sure but i would susppect they do it before the cards are dealt.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:01 PM

I've seen people who've studied this (I have not) claim that the cards are constantly shuffled; this is what the RNG does. The way I understand it. the RNG "seeds" its algorithm with inputs gleaned from mouse movements and clicks and also white noise from the server room to create as random a deal as is possible. While statisticians will often tell you there is no such thing as "random", I think many will also say that these systems provide enough unpredictability as to be completely fair.

So to answer your question based on my understanding, the next card is not only effected by whether or not you click "fold", it's also affected by when you click "fold". But not in any predictable way.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:04 PM

Dunno about Party but at Stars the deck is set prior to dealing while at Ultimate Bet there is a continuous shuffle.

Regards,
carlo
Old 01-03-2005, 07:41 PM

I've wondered this myself, actually. There's been times where I've on the fence about playing a marginal hand (for instance, with suited connectors when there aren't enough callers to justify it), and I end up deciding to fold, but then my dream flop appears which would have given me the nuts.

I've always told myself that the cards would have been different had I called instead. Not through anything nefarious on the site's part, but because the cards are constantly generated randomly for each street. I always assumed that the sites worked on the same principles that the RNG's in slot machines work with.

The bottom line is that it doesn't really matter anyway. For every time that you get a dream flop playing hands you shouldn't be playing, there will many many more times where the flop won't be so nice...which is as true online as it is in B&M.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:44 PM

it really doesn't matter if they are continually shuffled or not. Basically if you folded the same hand a different time and the flop totally missed you, then you could argue that it would have hit had you stayed in. The bottom line is that no matter which theory you subscribe to, you folded hands that would have been monsters. The only thing accomplished by worrying about it is the possibility of tilt.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:31 PM

Paradise also has a single shuffle before the hand.