Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 02:54 AM

Default I want to learn Limit Holdem

I have played online for about a year. I have only played No Limit Holdem. I have used Poker Tracker the entire time with GT+ and PAHUD. My win rate of BBs is in the acceptable range. I have experienced little variance.

I am sucessful at ring $50 NLHE as well as at NL MTTs and SNGs generally in the $5 and $10 buyin range. I have finished in the final table a number of times in MTTs, but never 1st. My best finish has been 3rd.

I would like to learn limit holdem. I would like to start at micro stakes for learning purposes. I have a decent bankroll of mid 4 figures.

I have purchased Slansky's "Small Stakes Holdem" and can't make a lot of headway with it.

I would appreciate suggestions as to limits and sites on which I should play.

Any other learning suggestions would be appreciated.

cat923
Old 08-17-2005, 02:59 AM

Default Re: I want to learn Limit Holdem

Limit is a draw game. Always remember that. You can onl exhibit a certain amount of control, you must deal with that.

Read SSHE, playing party .50/1, post some hands and you shouldn't go astray.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:03 AM

Try to at least read SSHE once. You say you are good at %50 NLHE so you have some kind of poker knowledge at least.

Read these forums, post hands, and that should be enough. Also, I too would suggest starting at .50/1 on party.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:05 AM

First, I'd suggest reading the FAQ. There's lots of good stuff there.

That said, where to start depends on your comfort level. As a wimp, I started in 0.02/0.04 and actually worked my way up. It sounds like you're way ahead of me, so that's probably a bad idea. If you're interested in using bonuses, Paradise and Party would be the best places to start. Since you're beginning, I wouldn't go above 0.50/1 initially.

You've started on the right track. Limit and NL are very different games. Keep studying SSH, reading and replying to posts here, and starting out with some hands at a level you're comfortable with.

Oh, and a good starting hand guide is crucial. I use this one.

Good luck!
Old 08-17-2005, 03:21 AM

For a beginner to limit, I'd recommend reading Winning Low-Limit Hold'Em by Lee Jones first. Once you understand those concepts, move on to the more complicated Small Stakes Hold'Em by Miller+Sklansky. You absolutely must read and re-read Small Stakes Hold'Em to grasp all the concepts. You also must apply them by playing thousands of hands.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For a beginner to limit, I'd recommend reading Winning Low-Limit Hold'Em by Lee Jones first. Once you understand those concepts, move on to the more complicated Small Stakes Hold'Em by Miller+Sklansky. You absolutely must read and re-read Small Stakes Hold'Em to grasp all the concepts. You also must apply them by playing thousands of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since he's got experience in hold em already, I think he can start with Small Stakes.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:12 AM

I think the biggest thing to remember is that you can't push people out of pots with average cards. I see many NL players tha tare TOO aggressive and when they get called down they can't believe that you were not forced to fold.

Limit is more of a mathimatical game.

Grinderswarehouse - NOT just another BLOG
Old 08-17-2005, 10:43 AM

A few thoughts for ya.

1. Limit hold em, particularly low-limit hold em, is a SHOWDOWN game. This means typically to win the pot you're going to have to show down the best hand.

2. Forget about bluffing, especially at low limit.

3. YOu'll have to learn how to protect your hand better. Unlike no limit you cannot bet X to offer Y odds, sometimes only a check-raise will protect your hand.

4. Learn to bet your draws for value. Pot odds are much easier to guestimate on future streets in limit and thus you can sweeten the pot when you have a good draw, since there is no danger of somebody giving you terrible odds to chase it later.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:46 AM

another suggestion to keep in mind:

stack size is irrelevant.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
another suggestion to keep in mind:

stack size is irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

But don't ever let yourself get all-in.