Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Rake Back
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 04:22 AM

Default So, why aren\'t party gift certificates rakeback?

Before I get into this, I want to make it clear that I don't have any vested interests here, and I'm not giving out any bonus codes or making any reccomendations through pm.

So, a major affiliate offers party poker gift certificates for raked hands played. They have a great deal of other shwag that a player can choose, but since pp gift certificates are more liquid than a foreign currency for all of us, they are essentially just cash. The site doesn't in any way hide their offer, and I'm pretty sure they are quite big and on the radar.

Why is Party allowing this? I don't feel like most affiliates could get away with it. Is it because of the other schwag, they can make a reasonable case that these are "player incentives" instead of bonuses? If some other affiliate decided to offer a variety of items including gift certificates, would party let it fly?

If there's not going to be any above the board RB at party, quite frankly I would prefer that that was the situation for everybody. We as players have a much better chance of seeing decent internal party rewards if party decides to cut affiliate percentages on long term players, and/or high volume ones. If one or a handful of affiliates are going to be allowed to give effective rakeback, the more risk neutral amongst us will find a way to get there, and party isn't gonna pay a decent percentage to players and then pay 20+ to affiliates.

As a player with an existing account, I have a strong preference for a well designed internal reward system. I have an affiliate I trust, but it seems very unlikely that I will ever be able to move my current account to any affiliate, as I believe I signed up directly. Even if I hadn't, I think Party really doesn't want to be moving people from one affiliate to another.

So, the only option available to myself and many others is to open a new account. The need to fund this account with a new deposit option, and register a new email, makes me believe that this is just asking for trouble. Also, even though this doesn't amount to fraud in a traditional sense, it feels like fraud to me, and I just don't feel comfortable with that.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:04 AM

Default Re: So, why aren\'t party gift certificates rakeback?

There are plenty of ways to disguise rakeback so it wouldn't be rakeback.

For example an affiliate could pay his customers for a market research questionaire each month. Just fill in the form and be compensated for it. Or perhaps use the pokerplayers to proofread a page from a book the affiliate is working on. That he would compensate the players for it is given. Pokerplayers value their time very highly.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:53 AM

Any Party affiliates who are in need of a proofreader, feel free to PM me.... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2005, 09:17 AM

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, it just wouldn't piss off Party.

That's my limited understanding.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Before I get into this, I want to make it clear that I don't have any vested interests here, and I'm not giving out any bonus codes or making any reccomendations through pm.

So, a major affiliate offers party poker gift certificates for raked hands played. They have a great deal of other shwag that a player can choose, but since pp gift certificates are more liquid than a foreign currency for all of us, they are essentially just cash. The site doesn't in any way hide their offer, and I'm pretty sure they are quite big and on the radar.

Why is Party allowing this? I don't feel like most affiliates could get away with it. Is it because of the other schwag, they can make a reasonable case that these are "player incentives" instead of bonuses? If some other affiliate decided to offer a variety of items including gift certificates, would party let it fly?

If there's not going to be any above the board RB at party, quite frankly I would prefer that that was the situation for everybody. We as players have a much better chance of seeing decent internal party rewards if party decides to cut affiliate percentages on long term players, and/or high volume ones. If one or a handful of affiliates are going to be allowed to give effective rakeback, the more risk neutral amongst us will find a way to get there, and party isn't gonna pay a decent percentage to players and then pay 20+ to affiliates.

As a player with an existing account, I have a strong preference for a well designed internal reward system. I have an affiliate I trust, but it seems very unlikely that I will ever be able to move my current account to any affiliate, as I believe I signed up directly. Even if I hadn't, I think Party really doesn't want to be moving people from one affiliate to another.

So, the only option available to myself and many others is to open a new account. The need to fund this account with a new deposit option, and register a new email, makes me believe that this is just asking for trouble. Also, even though this doesn't amount to fraud in a traditional sense, it feels like fraud to me, and I just don't feel comfortable with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly how i feel. Nice post. I want to get rakeback and feel like i should, faily high volume at 5-10.
If its okay that everyon is opening new accounts then thats what i will do. But i also do not want trouble down the road.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, it just wouldn't piss off Party.

That's my limited understanding.

[/ QUOTE ]

"PartyPoker.com does not permit affiliates to promote rakeback (or any other discount schemes)" This sure seems to not allow pseudo RB via gift certs.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:43 PM

And yet, there's absolutely no way these guys have ever been under the radar for Party.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And yet, there's absolutely no way these guys have ever been under the radar for Party.

[/ QUOTE ]
"What is allowed to Jupiter is not allowed to the bull". I think that's because Party knows that those affiliates hasn't been created solely for rakeback purpose. And they regularly bring in tons of new players which is probably another reason. But actually I don't know - this question is for Gibraltar anti-monopoly experts.