Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 01:51 PM

Default WHAT ARE YOUR STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES?

I was thinking about my own leaks and strengths, and i thought it might be helpful to state what you think are the best and worst parts of your games. If you have suggestions to other posters those would be good too.

I'll start.

Strengths:
I think im a good hand reader.
I am very aggressive.
Im not afraid to act on my read.
It is very tough to win pots with medium strength hands against me.
I get good value out of my good hands.
I can think of good effective lines, that aren't always standard, but usually work.

Leaks:
sometimes i get overly aggressive.
If a villan plays a very strong hand in a very wierd way, i am liable to hang my self.
I openpush with too wide a range sometimes
I tilt sometimes, i would like to get rid of it.
My endurance isn't that great- at the end of 5-6 hour tournys, i think i make a decent amount of mistakes i wouldn't make in the beginning of the tourny.
I want to work on my reads, make them better.

So, if anyone else would like to post here that would be good.

EDIT: Another BIG leak is refusing to give credit to late position raisers.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Re: WHAT ARE YOUR STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES?

Good post
Strengths:
I'm strong/agressive and can change gears pretty well.
I don't get distracted easily and follow play well.
I'm not afraid to mix my lines up when the situation warrants it.
Weaknesses:
I'm not a strong mathamatical player
Tilt too much
Call too liberally in Late position/blinds and don't play the flop as i should from there.
Overvalue pocket pairs.
My blind play/restealing sucks.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:57 PM

Strengths:
-I am not afraid to make moves in conjunction with my reads
-I steal blinds goot!
-I am fairly good at disguising my hand strength

Weaknesses:
-I get married to hands too often (fixing that)
-I get impatient sometimes when I get mildly shortstacked
-I give Chief all my chips on stupid bluffs sometimes

There is a lot more in each category, but I dont feel like typing them now. Good thread though, self-analysis is a great way to become better.

~Justin
Old 09-02-2005, 02:00 PM

leaks:
i probably overvalue pocket pairs
i probably fold to reraises too much
i lose 75% of my coinflips
Old 09-02-2005, 02:27 PM

I should mention here that I am talking mostly about NL tourneys as that is where the majority of my experience lies. In Limit Hold Em ring games, which I recently started playing, I seem to be having even more success, so I may just switch completely if my success rate continues to rise.

Strengths:
- When I first started playing Hold 'Em last summer, I played a lot of play money SNGs and was often short stacked because I was just learning how to play. I then decided to allow myself to get shorstacked so I could learn how to play that way, and it worked fairly well. I have learned to be extremely patient and have, more than once, because of this patience, come back from being last to winning the tourney.
- I am usually aggressive enough when it is called for, although I still have a lot to learn about when it is called for (I could be more aggressive and might be more successful, but that would take a lot away from my current style and would mean a big change in some places)
- I don't often get caught without the goods, but that may also be a weakness because I am not aggressive enough in some cases to steal enough blinds and such, more because I am, again, not paying attention to the table (as explained in the weakness section)
- I am very good at picking off overly aggressive players who don't know when to switch gears - I have a knack for making myself look weak and vulnerable, letting them steal my blinds, push me out of pots, etc, and snapping them off when I do get a big hand - in most cases like that, I will take them for a lot more than they have stolen over the past 5 orbits, and then they will tilt because they had no idea I was playing them. If they are lucky, though, which they often are at that point, they will go all in and have a hand and win with it, putting them back in a strong position, or will at least get everyone else folding as they move all-in preflop the next couple of hands
- I am pretty good at reading people, reading their cards, although I am better at it in live play
- I have some moves that work very well, and I am not afraid to act on my reads, especially against weaker players
- I am not ashamed to admit when I am outclassed, although I think that I believe it to be the case more often than it actually is, I would rather err on the side of caution and lose one or two small pots than risk my whole stack when I am uncertain
- I don't worry about creating a table image as much as I concern myself with determing what each individual player sees my image as being - in other words, I will play opposite to the image I think you see me as - if you see me as weak (as an overly aggressive player will when he constantly bullies me), you will fold to my bluff re-raise because you think I have a hand - if you think me strong, when I have the best hand, I will just call along when you are raising into the pot because you are doing me the favor of dumping all your chips into the pot
- I don't have to be tricky - I just have to know what YOU think I am, and play the opposite

Weaknesses:
- I am still in the small stake stages and often forget to bother paying attention to the game I am in, but more so because I have several poker books and I am trying to read them all while playing (I know - bad idea, which is why I have switched to playing play money over the last few days just to scratch the itch and read while I play, trying the stuff mentioned in the book, and it doesn't cost me anything except my time!)
- I am sometimes too eager to fold, mostly because I am not sure of my own read
- I let bullies push me around, but again, as mentioned above, that CAN be a strength, if the right situation arises - if it doesn't, I can lose a tourney because I can get blinded off at a table with a huge stack bully who pushes all in preflop every hand - you have to make a stand eventually, but since he can just keep doing it, win or lose, you have to pick your battleground carefully
Old 09-02-2005, 02:29 PM

I was just thinking about my play in relation to my stack size last night: Great with deep stacks (early in tourney). great on a short stack. Good on big stack. Suck on a medium stack (with an M usually in the 9-12 range)
Old 09-02-2005, 02:41 PM

Good
Math
Choosing stealing situations
Restealing

Bad
Playing a medium stack
Not making Hellmuthian laydowns (not letting go of hands)
Hand reading
Old 09-02-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd blame someone other than yourself for this one. Maybe God, maybe Sklansky, who knows?
Have you tried a rabbit's foot, horseshoe, or lucky heads up penny?
Old 09-02-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd blame someone other than yourself for this one. Maybe God, maybe Sklansky, who knows?
Have you tried a rabbit's foot, horseshoe, or lucky heads up penny?

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't God and Sklansky the same thing?
~Justin
Old 09-02-2005, 03:09 PM

Strengths.

- I am very agressive(smart aggressive) not random aggressive. I am good at reading people weak and getting them off hands.

- I am becoming good at reading peoples cards.

Weakness

- When i get tired i give up. Cant fight anymore.
- I try to steal to many blinds late in tournys.
- My ego WAS to big until last week when i decided to almost always fold to rereaises. Unless i have a monster. (this apparently was my biggest weakness.) the same day i started folding 2 reraises i made 2 final tables and finshied 2nd and 1st. before that closest i got was 10th. and i play alot of tournys and often get deep but do a Matasow blow up near the end [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] hahah lol.