Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Playing hands like this confuse me. What was best here?

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6.20 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 folds.

River: (8.20 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.20 BB
Old 09-04-2005, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Playing hands like this confuse me. What was best here?

played it fine except for calling that river check raise. i like to raise this preflop sometimes too.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:36 PM

I would check behind on the river. The river card isn't the best and the number of payoff hands are low. You will oftentimes be up against something like T8 or J8 as well.

Brad
Old 09-04-2005, 08:40 PM

There is a well-known principle that you ignored.

Bet your very strong hands on the river for value. Bet the very weak ones on a bluff if you think it has a reasonable chance to win it by folding better hands. But, just check your medium strength hands. There is no reasonable hand he could have that is beating yours, but he would fold to a bet.

In this case, your bet will make busted flush draws fold, but you were beating them anyway. But, you will get called by anything that beats you, and really nothing else.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:19 PM

I play the same way, except I check behind on the river and watch opp turn over the straight he valuebet on the flop and hit on the river.