Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Card Player Article: The End Is Coming

if you don't doubt the claims of card gamblers i predict a very expensive series of poker lessons ahead. if you have an interest in the academic you may want to read Ziskin's 10 yr study on sociopathy. h
Old 09-02-2005, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't say 100k next year, I said 50K next year and I firmly believe I will reach that number.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol this is funny, everybody trying to convince this guy that it is doable and being done by many...who cares...ur right dude, can't be done, its all BS
Old 09-02-2005, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm cool with getting disagreed with on this point, but I'm going to ask people who don't make $100K/yr to refrain from telling me how easy it is. If it was that damn easy you'd be doing it, not hoping to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, people are getting way too hung up on the specific figure of $100K/yr.

The point here is that making money at poker is easier than so many other things you can do to make comparable money from a cold start.

Whether it's $70k or $100k or $150k is not important. The point is that whatever you're making at it, you probably had to work less for it than just about any other option for the same money.

If I told you you had to raise $15k as quickly as possible (no loans), how would you do it? What are your best options?

eastbay
Old 09-02-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If I told you you had to raise $15k as quickly as possible (no loans), how would you do it? What are your best options?

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

big pile of coke and 8 tables solid from 3pm Friday to 11pm Sunday [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2005, 10:44 PM

It can be done, but it's a lot harder than you seem to think. For example, you aren't doing it, right?

You and Scuba are making the insane claims of 10,000 people doing it and things like that.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:48 PM

eastbay- Well, obviously, among people who are good at poker poker is the answer to that question is poker.

And easier? I think not. You've had a regular job, right? The vast majority of regular jobs are jokes. No mental energy expended. Much less stress. Health insurance, 401ks, stability... Those things have utility. Lots of it.

40 hours of poker is 40 hours of work. 40 hours on the clock is like 15 hours of actual work.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:35 PM

But people play poker when it is -$/hr. Meaning that for th average person, playing poker isnt 'work'. If you held my salary constant, I would pick 60 hours of poker to the 15 hours of work you are mentioning. Also, any poker player I know would rather spend an hour playing poker than sitting in an office doing nothing

You are also missing the whole point of Eastbay's post. For the average person, getting a 100K a year job just isnt feasible. Not how hard they work once they get there, but their chances of getting there.

Think of it as a finish line. We have a contest, who can get a random person earning 100K quicker. You can send your guy to college, get him an internship, whatever you want. I will get my dude a poker coach. Holding everything else constant, who do you think is making 100K first?

I could probably find a job in my industry where I worked 10 hours a week, and earned 50-60K (but I am still there 40 hours a week, which has significant disutility). But I have also had 5 years of training, been to grad school, etc, etc. whereas someone could earn that playing poker in much less time. (albeit longer hours)
Old 09-03-2005, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
eastbay- Well, obviously, among people who are good at poker poker is the answer to that question is poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

And how much effort does it take to get good at poker? Not as much as it takes to get good at something else which pays comparably.

[ QUOTE ]

And easier? I think not. You've had a regular job, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had jobs from dishwashing to being in charge of large, extremely complex and technical engineering projects and everything in between (driving a delivery truck, retail sales, paving roads, lawn and garden, short order cook, teacher, research assistant, and a few others I can't even remember any more.)

Dollar for dollar, poker is far and away the easiest thing I've ever done. By a longshot.

[ QUOTE ]

The vast majority of regular jobs are jokes. No mental energy expended. Much less stress. Health insurance, 401ks, stability... Those things have utility. Lots of it.

40 hours of poker is 40 hours of work. 40 hours on the clock is like 15 hours of actual work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker is a card game. It's hardly work.

Oh, and I still have a regular job. I keep it for the stability you mention, but I certainly pay a price for that stability. Answering to a boss, keeping strict hours, traveling when I'm required to, preparing endless reports, presentations, budgets, dealing with conflicts between employees. All this stuff is a major pain in the ass compared to playing a silly card game.

Again, if you can find me something that pays as well as poker and is easier, that I can come at cold and be successful within a year, please let me know what it is. I'm all over that. Seriously.

eastbay
Old 09-03-2005, 01:37 AM

It is ridiculous to say that Poker will never fade right now it is booming more than it ever has, and it will eventually fade maybe not a lot or as much as he is prediciting, but still a good amount nevertheless.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Again, if you can find me something that pays as well as poker and is easier, that I can come at cold and be successful within a year, please let me know what it is. I'm all over that. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is easy for some people is hard for others. Some people can step into a real estate office and make well over $100k right off the bat, maybe selling cars too. Many of those people couldn't a living at poker.

I'm sure some people destroying the poker tables would lay a goose egg selling real estate.

EB, I could have you making more than $100k as a real estate appraiser in a year or so, but I wouldn't do that to you.

Still, I think a lot of people, though not most, could make good money at poker with a good teacher and some work. You don't have to be a genius because most opponents are not taking it that seriously.