Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 12:15 AM

Default AK catches an A on the flop

One of the things I'm discovering about myself is I don't mind loosing a hand, as long as I know ahead of time that it's possible. But when a hand catches me by surprise, I get irritated - mostly at myself. I guess I feel that not seeing the ending is an indication of poor card reading skills.

This hand is a good example.

MP1 is TAG - 17/11/1.33
CO is Loose and semi-passive - 40.6/8.11/0.92 (yes I know, 8 PFR usually qualifies as aggressive, but when you're playing 40% of your hands raising 8% isn't all that often)

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls.

TPTK plus BDFD = Fairly strong hand. CO could be betting a large number of hands. Lack of re-raise makes me think he's betting a diamond draw.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls.

MP1 is a solid player. It's almost guaranteed he did NOT play 25, so even though a wheel is possible, I'm fairly comfortable in saying it isn't there. I'm guessing MP1 has AK, AQ or something along those lines.

River: (17.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls.

I almost let this check through, but decided there was still a pretty good chance I had the best hand, and with the extra caller I would be loosing money if I checked.

Final Pot: 20.25 BB

And then came the surprise ending. Go ahead. Make me feel bad by telling me I should have seen it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2005, 12:22 AM

Default Re: AK catches an A on the flop

The fact that you think there is anything wrong with the way you played this hand is alarming. The turn 3-bet MAY be a bit much, but I think it's fine given your read of MP1.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:27 AM

It's not so much that I think I played the hand incorrectly, in this case. In fact, I think I played it ok as far as that goes.

What bothers me is I got completely blind sided by the winning hand...I never even considered it as a possibility when evaluating the situation.

Then again, it looks like you don't see it either, which makes me feel better, in an evil sort of way [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not so much that I think I played the hand incorrectly, in this case. In fact, I think I played it ok as far as that goes.

What bothers me is I got completely blind sided by the winning hand...I never even considered it as a possibility when evaluating the situation.

Then again, it looks like you don't see it either, which makes me feel better, in an evil sort of way [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing you need to learn is to not focus on the results. I know it is infuriating and frustrating, but in time you will become imune to it. Crummy beats happen all of the time. Also, it is clear from the tone of your post that you lost. That may skew the analysis you get. Try to tone that down/eliminate it next time.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:31 AM

Also, I'm still pretty new at this take-poker-serious-and-play-it-right gig. I've only been at it for about 4 weeks now.

So, like any one learning a new skill (esp. something as complex as poker), I need to be told where I can improve...but I also need to be told when I've gotten something right. Especially when I maybe did it right, but things still turned out badly...like this hand did.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:33 AM

I think he had AA

EDIT: You played it fine. Don't worry about getting beat on hands like this. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2005, 12:40 AM

he probally has a set of 8's or 4's, more likely 8's, but i don't put him on poket AA because he check called the river. him being a TAG player i think you scared him a little when you continued to re-raise him, but if he had a set of aces he would have still be out on the river.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:44 AM

Whoops I thought there was three to a flush on the board.

The reason I said AA was because the hero was shocked by the ending, but 88 does seem more reasonable w/o 3 to a flush to scare him into check-calling.

Not to be results oriented, but I would like to know in this case just out of curiosity.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:41 AM

I think you forgot about the cutoff and he won the hand.

Straight?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:52 AM

I am gonna say J8d in the c/o. Think he got caught up playing a drawing hand pre flop, then flopped a nice draw that he had to play out, and stumbled onto a winner.