Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-28-2005, 11:55 PM

Default Upgrading a PC

what are the easiest things to upgrade (DELL XPS 600)
processer? can that be done?
memory?
graphics card?
hard drive?

looking at buying base model xps what should i have them do and what can i do myself? Not totally computer dumb but have never worked on hardware parts. Please help looking to save as much cash as possible.

thank you
Old 12-29-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Upgrading a PC

[ QUOTE ]
what are the easiest things to upgrade (DELL XPS 600)
processer? can that be done?
memory?
graphics card?
hard drive?

looking at buying base model xps what should i have them do and what can i do myself? Not totally computer dumb but have never worked on hardware parts. Please help looking to save as much cash as possible.

thank you

[/ QUOTE ]

Memory is easy to upgrade.

Video cards are easy to upgrade.

Processors are not so easy to upgrade.

Hard drives are easy to upgrade compatability-wise, but require a little more effort and in your case research than video cards or memory.

Do a little hunting around for coupons and promotions if you're going to have Dell build you a computer. Sometimes they have really good rebates. Try the "Hot Deals" forum at anandtech.com, I remember seeing a lot of Dell promo threads when I used to read there regularly.

Good luck.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:55 AM

I think the best +EV here is:

1) RAM (Don't buy any over minimum, add it)
2) Video Card (Buy crappy integrated with AGP/PCI-E slot)
3) HDD (*possibly* worth it)

damn, that's what the other guy said.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:25 AM

What are your needs and wants for the computer, and how long do you want to own it before you realistically need to upgrade?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:52 PM

As others have said, memory and video cards are upgrades you can do yourself pretty easily and probably save money by buying from somebody other than dell. If you want more hard drive space than the minimum, and can get the space significantly cheaper from a third party vendor, it would probably be easiest to add a second hard drive. If you replace the original, you will have to reinstall OS and other software on the new one: Not real difficult, but fairly time consuming. Dell is good about providing CD's for all installed software and drivers, unlike some other manufacturers.

One downside to adding hardware form other sources is if you have problems and need warranty repairs. Dell may claim add-on component is at fault and the manufacurer of the add-on claim that Dell's mother board is the problem. If you buy everything from Dell, there is no question whose responsibilibty it is. However, unless you buy and extended warranty, most likely nothing will fail befor the 1 year runs out, so if there is a significant price advantage, I wouldn't let the possible warranty issues deter me from buying the add-on. On my Dell, the first (and so far only, knock on wood) hardware failure (dead power supply) happened about 1 month after the warranty ran out.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:13 PM

I would like to hi jack this post and possibly help the OP in the process. I am not a real big computer guy, but am able to figure some things out.
I am looking to build a poker computer. My computer now is several years old and usable, but out dated. I have been lagging during PT imports and would like to fix this problem. I am currently downloading postgres, so this may be an intial fix, but feel ready to go further. Also, I hear of people running multiple hard drives or two computers and would like to know what suggestions you guys have for setting myself up with a poker computer.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:45 PM

Sometimes upgrading, you should just go ahead and get a new system. It depends on your current processor (p2, p3, athlon, or p4). Also not all ram works the same. If you are adding RAM, you have to use the same kind that your motherboard supports. Video cards can pretty much be interchangeable. The big question on a video card is will you need dual monitor support, and do you like to play high end games like Halflife2 and such. Its just a matter do you have an AGP slot or a PCI express slot. You can add as many HD as your motherboard will allow. A HD wont speed up your computer but the speed of the HD will make a difference (5400/7200/10000 rpms).

New dell's with celeron processors start right at $300 (look also for coupon codes). Even a celeron processor will be faster than older machines.

So it might not hurt to throw a bit extra $$$ down to get an entirely new system. Now if you plan to build your own system, you will realize you wont save that much in cash, but you can design it directly to your specifications.

RAM is always the 2nd important thing to a box besides the processor speed. The more RAM you have (512mb, 1 gig, 2 gigs) the more free memory your machine has to do all its operations.

Feel free to start a new thread of a new machine you plan to build or buy, and we will certainly tell you if it enough for what you want.

Something to always think about when upgrading (will this still be up to speed in a year from now)