Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 02:10 AM

Default Playing for money that will more than triple your roll......

In this situation do you still think its correct to apply pressure on your small edges. (Not necessarily all in pressure, depends on the blinds obviously.) It is my recently thought of opinion that when you are at a final table for a lot more money than you currently have, one should be extra careful and look for excellent spots. I'm not implying you should stop raising marginal holdings sometimes, just that a little more care is mathematically correct considering the bankroll situation.
Thoughts????
Old 12-22-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Playing for money that will more than triple your roll......

Play to win. pick your spots, but as you get down to 5 or 6 handed, that means that suited connectors are less valueable, higher cards and pairs are more valuable. play aggressively with big cards. steal more often. if you sit around and wait you'll lose your chance for the really big $$$.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:07 AM

How much have you increased your roll by making the final table? How much more for 4th?

I've found Steve Dannenmann to actually be helpful to my play. His carefree, "everything else is just extra credit," attitude has helped me relax the three times I've made a FT in the last three weeks. Don't throw caution to the wind, but don't let yourself be blinded down, keeping you from having any shot at the prize you seek.

Like any level of Poker, when the money is WAY more than you are used to playing for you tend to freeze up a bit. Find something that helps you relax...I allow myself a drink when I get to the FT. Whatever works for you.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:29 AM

if u play like a pansy at the final table, forget what 1st and 2nd are paying, because you will never get there. its necessary to push every edge at most of these online mtts because there are very few edges to press when the avg stack is 10x the bb. keep layin it on. holla
Old 12-22-2005, 06:32 AM

I can't think of many situations where it would be proper but here goes. If you have an excellent chance of moving up 1 spot on the payscale by not pushing an edge, and if the extra money for that 1 spot is a meaningful amount of money to you. Then I don't see a problem with playing cautious.

Example: You're a low-limit player in on a satellite. Your current bankroll is 1000 and you are at the final 6. Difference between 6th and 5th is 10K. If there's a seriously short stacked player about to go out then you can fold the better end of a coinflip and feel good about it.

Note that I'm only saying if the difference for 1 spot is a significant amount of money to you. Most of these tourneys are pretty flat until the final 3.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:12 AM

Let me specify the type of situation I'm thinking of at a greater extreme. Say you final-table a big sunday guaranteed which you entered through a satellite. Also, for sake of elaboration, 3rd place is 25X your bankroll and 1st is 50X (its a ton more than you have ). Yet any final finish is still a huge boost obviously. You and villain are basically tied for first. Early on you get involved in a hand in which you were a big favorite on the flop but are absolutely certain villain outdrew you on the turn (can we just say the cards are face-up?), yet you have a decent redraw. Lets say he caught two-pair and pushes while you have a straight-flush redraw to the nuts or a better two pair. This makes you ~2-1 dog in the following example.
(HERO: AsKd
villain: AcQd
flop: Ah Ts 9s
turn: Qs )

The pot is laying you better than 2-1, say 2.5 or 3-1, maybe more. Over half your chips are in the pot leaving you pot-committed in most situations. However, if you fold you still have a decent M, say 2-3 and you strongly believe you are the best at the table.
If somehow you are absolutely sure about your read do you take your good, maybe great odds and call an all-in on the draw, or fold and battle back. Are you pot-committed here? What percentage hit to your stack makes you pot-committed. How much overlay makes it an easy call/ I understand this is a crazy example and not sure if its actually possible for these pot-odds to occur (maybe there's tons of dead money in the pot) but I hope this illustrates my idea a little better. I am not saying this idea is correct, I'm asking for opinions on what the most practical play is or do you through practicality out the window. Keep in mind you are competing for a HUGE pay relative to your bankroll or networth for that matter. Do we use non-poker logic in this situation?
ABSOLUTELY HYPOTHETICAL!!!

ps. if you think this is a donkey situation please understand it is completely thought up to match my conditions. The fundamental question is how much overlay do you need when playing your biggest game ever? Also, I'm trying to think of an example where you aren't drawing with all your chips, but still, I hope this explains the magnitude and theme of the situation I imagine. (I wish this was the OP)
Old 12-22-2005, 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't think of many situations where it would be proper but here goes. If you have an excellent chance of moving up 1 spot on the payscale by not pushing an edge, and if the extra money for that 1 spot is a meaningful amount of money to you. Then I don't see a problem with playing cautious.

Example: You're a low-limit player in on a satellite. Your current bankroll is 1000 and you are at the final 6. Difference between 6th and 5th is 10K. If there's a seriously short stacked player about to go out then you can fold the better end of a coinflip and feel good about it.

Note that I'm only saying if the difference for 1 spot is a significant amount of money to you. Most of these tourneys are pretty flat until the final 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, thats not playing cautious, thats playing smart poker. its like recognizing the bubble and using it to PUSH edges, not call them. calling as a coinflip on the bubble is stupid. holla
Old 12-22-2005, 08:27 AM

I really wish I had said you are playing for a lot more than 3X your roll. My idea really refers to life changing money, whatever that is for each individual.

OT: How can I edit the original post?
Old 12-22-2005, 10:01 AM

All I want to know is, Where was this post on Monday?!! I made the FT to the Stars 10k $3 RA, only to finish 9th. Going into it, I was 5th. I took a coin flip on the 2nd hand, lost it of course. That would have increased my BR by massive amounts, instead, I'm at $300, should have $5000.