Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2005, 03:36 PM

Default First post alert! QQ vs. LAG

Villian sees nearly every flop, raises everything without looking at his cards, yet somehow always seems to win. Not much other info to give since I recently started multitabling (multispewing?), and can barely keep up. Also, I'm tilting like crazy (which makes me play even more passive than normal).

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls.

I should have reraised PF. It was just about the last hand of a very painful evening, and I'm a coward.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

I should have bet out, right? And called his inevitable raise?

Turn: (6.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

On that note, here is why my evening was painful:

This has made me rethink my strategy somewhat. Clearly, two pairs and sets are overrated; they should be abandoned completely. (TPTK? HA!) I know straights aren't usually so bad, so I will call down with them IF I flop one on an unpaired, rainbow flop. If the board pairs or a third suited card comes on the river, I'm folding (even if checked to me on the button). They're just too costly to play.

This leaves flushes and full houses. While I did win an unusually high 50% of my flushes, this may be due to the small data set. On second thought, I'm going to fold those, too. Full houses -- I like these. I will keep them.

I also have a new strategy preflop. I will play AA from the big blind for free ONLY! This has two advantages. First, in the long run, I expect to run about -8BB/100. This is about 5BB/100 *better* than I've been running the last couple nights. This is a HUGE improvement! I've given up trying to win, my goal now is just to get screwed less. Second, this should give me a pretty ultra-tight image. When I get aces and forget the aforementioned strategy and raise from the big blind, it should scare off my more observant opponents. Of course, when 7-8 of them call anyway, I will fold unless I flop a full house, but only aces-full.

I just started reading SSHE for the third time, and as usual, will completely ignore everything I read. Also, I'll drop back down to .50/1 (are there any sites that host $0.01/0.02 games?) Yeah, sorry for this post, but it's my first, so I wanted it to be, you know, special. Since I'm really asking for it, flame away!!

-SteamingFish