Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2005, 01:56 AM

Default Those of you who have this as a part time job and are also a student

I am self teaching myself the A+, NET +, MCSE, and if all goes well the CCNA from there (all IT Certifications). I get ALOT done when I study all day. However I rarely can focus on poker properly after draining myself mentally slamming new stuff into my brain for a 10 - 14 hour session.

I know most of you tend to do half a day of classes/studying and a half day of poker (or whatever). How do you keep on schedule on a consistent basis and avoid binging on one or the other (yes, I have an addictive personality)

I find myself either totally caught up in studies not wanting to play poker or totally caught up in poker not wanting to study.

I was wondering how those of you in my situation have handled this if you have experiences it at all ?

I post this here and not in the psychology forumn because it seems there are ALOT of college students that frequent her, I doubt so many in the psychology forum
Old 01-16-2005, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Those of you who have this as a part time job and are also a stude

Whether most people will be truthful with you, or even themselves, I imagine poker has severly hurt their college performance.

It did for me... I went from spending about 25 hours a week of studying to maybe 5, and that's not exaggerating.

Thinking you can succesfully integrate quality poker and keep your grades at the same level is unrealistic. It is the same as taking on a stressful job on the side... would your grades and efforts in school be at the same level?

Saying that... some people in fact ARE able to handle both succesfully, but I doubt most are.

Find out what works for you, and remember poker will be waiting after your academics are done.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:25 AM

It's just simple time-management. Sadly, most people whether in college or not cannot ever seem to manage their time.

Just set yourself up with a daily routine and follow it. Take a piece of paper, block off 24 rows with 7 columns. Label the rows 12AM-11PM and label the columns Sun-Sat. Then just mark off your time and stick to that schedule strictly.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's just simple time-management. Sadly, most people whether in college or not cannot ever seem to manage their time.

Just set yourself up with a daily routine and follow it. Take a piece of paper, block off 24 rows with 7 columns. Label the rows 12AM-11PM and label the columns Sun-Sat. Then just mark off your time and stick to that schedule strictly.

[/ QUOTE ]

So deceptively simple, isn't it? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-16-2005, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you are taking care of your daughter during the day as well it makes that concept a little tougher but yeah I had thought of that.. Tried it a couple times but she does NOT adapt to my schedule, it is definately vice versa - LOL.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you are taking care of your daughter during the day as well it makes that concept a little tougher but yeah I had thought of that.. Tried it a couple times but she does NOT adapt to my schedule, it is definately vice versa - LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Understandable... there's always going to be outlying factors that screw up any schedule you make. You'd at least have a backbone to go on though and then just try to follow it the best you can. It seems almost Rainman like to have to write yourself out a schedule, but it seems easier to follow and stick to when it's written down on paper instead of just in your head.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:42 AM

Daughter was left out in the original post. In that case, cut back on the poker man! School is so much more +EV for your daughter's future; plus you want to spend as much time with her as possible!
Old 01-16-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Daughter was left out in the original post. In that case, cut back on the poker man! School is so much more +EV for your daughter's future; plus you want to spend as much time with her as possible!

[/ QUOTE ]

Since he said in the title "Those of you who have this as a part time job" so I'm assuming he uses poker to supplement lack of income because of school.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:48 AM

Thanks guys some good posts.

Yes long term school is more +EV without a doubt (especially the field I am going into) however you have to pay the bills and ATM this is the best way to do that.

I admit however, I do play more than I 'have to'
Old 01-16-2005, 02:49 AM

Ah, you are correct sir. Still, don't play more than you "have" to...