Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: 2005 Microquests Thread -- Post Your Progress, Setbacks

[ QUOTE ]
Move bankroll from $1,500 to $9,000. Enough to buy my GF a nice big gift hint hint.

Acomplish this via bonus whoring playing .50/1, 1/2 max, and hopefully 2/4.

This averages out to about $600 a month, which is certainly a stretch goal, but achievable. 2 bb/100 poker at the Crytpo monthly bonuses will net me $400 per month, and 1 or 2 other bonuses per month will get me to $600.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm basically ahead of schedule. But my goal (above) is now less ambitous, and changed to a 4 month goal, instead of a 12 month goal.

But after a great February, I'm 2/3 of the way there. Lookin good!
Old 03-07-2005, 03:24 PM

Late comer, so excuse the delay...

1. Get PokerTracker

2. Move up to 1/2 limit by the end of the year. I am currently at .05/.10 with $80. I started at .02/.04 with $50, and this was not very long ago. This goal is a long way off, but I hope I can do it.

3. Continue to study the game. Re-read both SSHE and ToP...several times.

4. Have fun while playing.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:54 PM

Cool thread. I came in late but this fits with what I think about a lot when I'm thinking about poker.

Background:

This is my fourth go around with online poker. I played Stud at Paradise when it first opened. Won a bunch cashed out, bought patio furniture.

Started again, played stud and a bit of hold'em. Cashed out, bought car stereo (lots of car stereo).

Started again, played hold'em, cashed out, bought home theater.

Each time, I've started with a minimum buy in and done well.

Currently: Bought in to Party again with $50 and no bonus (moron) and have run that up to a respectable 1/2 bankroll (currently $1K) by playing pretty well and bonus whoring extensively.

Goals:

To not get scared and cash it all out.

To build the bankroll so I can make the jump to 2/4.

To stay at 1/2 and even maybe drop back down to 0.5/1 while working on my game.

To plug some leaks so the jump to the next level is appropriate to my skill level.

To learn NL. Or not.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:54 PM

3/7/05:

Around new year's, I had my goals set at playing 3/6 full time by the end of the year. Now it looks like I'll be in a position to achieve this goal by the end of March. So I need to rework my goals.

- Complete 25K hands or 750 BB at 2/4
- Learn how to play SH, cycle through 1/2 6m
- Complete 25K hands or 750 BB at 3/6

After that, I'll see where I'm at & go from there.

And of course, I'm continuing to try to win a seat to a major.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:04 PM

I never jumped in earlier, but here are my current 2005 goals (and history) in honor of my almost 1 year history on the forums.

Started about a year ago with $150 at Party. Proceeded to dump it all but $25 in 10 days. During those 10 days, discoved this fine place. Through some weird luck, I did not go broke, and the bankroll grew at .5/1, single tabling. Over the summer, began 2 tabling. September, began 4 tabling, bonusing, and moved to 1/2. Currently, the bankroll has vastly outpaced my skillz but I guess I don't have a problem with the money [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Last December, I was hoping to add 1k per month to the bankroll, and make 6k by the end of the spring. Now, I am resolving to:

-learn to handle winning and losing swings more productively
-learn to play shorthanded (1/2 6max)
-get comfortable at Party 2/4 and be able to hold my own at 3/6
-establish winning play at the 30+3 sngs
-enjoy mtts.
-become better at addressing faults in my game, as opposed to:
-focusing my posting energies on hands where i can easily determine the correct play
-attempt to increase bankroll growth rate to 2k per month
-see for myself if the 5/10 kill game at foxwoods is as beatable as people say
-go to vegas. pwn.
-spend less time during the work day on this forum

I think all but the last one might just be possible.
Good luck to everyone this year!
-t
Old 03-07-2005, 04:16 PM

I haven't posted any goals before, but I figured I might as well start.

I just bought PT in mid-January, and I have about 10k .5/1 hands in already. My bankroll is up to about 700 BB's, and I just signed up for rakeback. I feel like I'm a 2.5-3 BB/100 player, but my BB/100 is currently at about 4 right now. I think I'm running well.

I will be moving up to 1/2 in the next couple of weeks or so. Once I get to ~1300 or so, I am going to buy myself a 2001fp (or maybe the new 24" widescreen that's coming out). Then 1/2 6-max by the end of this semester.

As far as my game goes, I'm working on loosening up, after Nate the Great's post. It hasn't really worked. My VPIP is only gone up a few tenths over the last 4k or so. My PFR is getting really high, however. I'm at about 18/10 now. I think that's largely because I've been playing shorter sessions recently, and I haven't been able to get good enough reads to start trying more "advanced" plays.

Semi-long term goals: I should have quite a bit of time this summer while studying for the bar (assuming I keep my golf habit in check), so I'm hoping to be at the 3/6 level (maybe 5/10 6-max?) by mid-september, when I transfer my soul to the firm, and lose all free time.

EDIT: I'd like to learn NL as well. I think I'm going to wait for the new 2+2 book to come out this summer. I just want to be able to hold my own in the super-soft live NL games.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:31 PM

My goals:
(1) Branch out to more sites, especially those where fish are more likely to be found.
(2) Re-tighten my game. I was up to about a $1K BR, but killed it down to $500 last year because I started (maybe always have?) played stupidly - that sucked.
(3) Learn to multi-table (already started working on this at very low-limit tables).
(4) Start working on my NL tournament game (I'm doing OK in limit SNGs, but my NL sucks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).
(5) Start playing a wider variety of poker games (I'm doing OK at very micro Omaha, both high and split, but stud still escapes me).

My main concern is that I'm trying to do too much and that focusing on one goal at a time might be better - OTOH, I was getting tired of just playing HE ring games and I've noticed that I'm playing a bit better now because when I get tired I can take a quick break with other forms.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:48 PM

Well, far less than a year has passed, but it's time to revise things.

[ QUOTE ]
The most general goal, and the one foremost in my mind, is to continue to study the game seriously. SSHE needs to be read again, and then again. Reading threads, posting hands -- I'm looking to assimilate all I can.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been studying SSHE lots on a fairly continuous basis. I've also started reading HEPFAP more, and have been trying to understand the differences in strategies and the reasons behind them, in an attempt to continue clarifying the theories of the game. Will keep it up.

I haven't been posting as much as a few months ago because I've begun 6-tabling, and find it hard to do anything other than play while I'm at it.

[ QUOTE ]
Getting results oriented, I very much want to make the move to 2/4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Done. I've made the move to 2/4 and after 22K hands there I've built my way up to a 1300BB roll. (incl. all winnings, bonuses and rakeback.)

[ QUOTE ]
Stretch goal for 2005 is to conquer 2/4 and make it up to 3/6.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize now that this is very doable. I've begun datamining 3/6 and I even sat in a game or two for a few orbits over the weekend. I'm going to start working in a 3/6 table or two here or there. I plan to try and start the permanent move once I hit 1000BB for 3/6.

[ QUOTE ]
Finally, I'd like to build up enough of a bankroll whilst at 2/4 so that I can withdraw a chunk to put towards a "real life" bankroll for 4/8 at Foxwoods.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't bothered withdrawing the money, but I have enough that I can play 4/8 at FW when I want and cover any substantial loss with a withdrawl.

I've decided to revise goals upward:
* Play minimum of 15K - 20K hands per month. 6-tabling, this will require a minimum of 40hrs a month.
* Move to 3/6 once I reach 1000BB.
* Start preparing for a move to 5/10 6max.
* Begin using poker winnings as savings, or capital for future investments, instead of solely to build a bigger bankroll.
* Take a trip to Vegas. Win.

I'd like to be a winning 5/10 6max player by the end of the year.

-Brian
Old 03-07-2005, 05:27 PM

200,000 hands is looking less and less likely. I really need to get on top of playing more and dicking around less. I've been staying lower in limits than I was hoping too, but that's because I have a lot of weak-tight to work out of myself. I would've hemorrhaged money if I had moved up to 2/4 earlier, or stayed at 1/2 6max longer.

My game's getting a lot better right now though, and I'm feeling confident 4-tabling 1/2 which is a first in a long time, so I'm sure I'll be making 2/4 my home pretty soon. Also, my 6max game is better thanks to a lot of HU lessons on the stars .02/.04 tables. Seriously, everybody should make a point to play these, even if it's just an hour a week.

I should still be taking shots at 15/30 by the end of the year, and I'll definitely be able to play 10/20 live on my 21st birthday this August.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:17 PM

I'm new to this, so I'll post my goals now

- Get up to 25k hands at .05/.10 (currently at 11k)
- Move up to .25/.50 by May
- Get up to 50k hands at .25/.50
- Find some leaks
- Plug some leaks
- Move up to .50/1