Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 03:16 AM

Default KQ against unknown

Finally decided to post a hand after lurking for a while, would appreciate any advice/criticism.
What gave me difficulty in this hand is that button only joined the table a couple of hands ago so I had no idea what kind of player he was.
Is it correct for me to call down once he capped the flop or should I fold?
Is the check preflop alright considering the amount of players who limped? I doubt my raise would make anyone fold.

Ultimate Bet 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 9 BB

Thank you!
Old 12-13-2005, 03:29 AM

Default Re: KQ against unknown

Preflop: Sometimes I raise, sometimes I check through, its not a big deal. IF you raise, its not to try and get people to fold, its for value.

Flop/Turn/River: I play the same, nh
Old 12-13-2005, 03:31 AM

Preflop is fine, raise KTs here.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:24 AM

You can raise PF if you like--or not. Everything looks fine except the flop cap from Button, that makes me want to puke.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:52 AM

I play it exactly the same. Don't raise here preflop; if you do, you make the pot big enough for it to be the mathematically correct play for any pair or gutshot to call you on the flop and turn in most cases. You make your money from opponents making mistakes. Your hand simply isn't powerful enough to pump the pot with so many opponents, as one pair is not extremely likely to be the winner at showdown. As another poster noted, raise KTs+ here (although JTs+ is probably more accurate, maybe even T9s).
Old 12-13-2005, 07:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I play it exactly the same. Don't raise here preflop; if you do, you make the pot big enough for it to be the mathematically correct play for any pair or gutshot to call you on the flop and turn in most cases. You make your money from opponents making mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but I think some opponents make mistakes by folding incorectly when they have odds to call.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:34 AM

I disagree (not about with your implied odds comment, but with not pumping the pot with this or similar hands). What hands do you win the most money with? Pairs and two pairs. What makes the strongest pairs and two pairs? Your big suited and off suit broadway cards. These cards have a lot of equity PF--you should be pumping the pot when these hands have equity, which is PF. The beauty of these hands is you pretty much know on the flop whether or not you can continue. By building bigger pots PF with these hands, you may lose more hands because you are laying proper odds to drawing hands, but you will win more money per hand when you do win, which is often.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:21 AM

Without the benefit of reading others replies I'd probably raise PF. Reason is that you've got a better hand than most, if not all the PF limpers and you should punish them for it.

Calling turn is ok. I'd even call the river if bet into. You'd only need to be right a small percentage of the time to make this right and I reckon you're that especially considering there was no PF raise from him.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:26 PM

*grunch* I think I raise this preflop, although I remember hearing that it's more a matter of taste than giving you a real edge. I mean if it's suited obviously raise it. If you raise preflop and lead out you might get some folds that clarify the hand more. Given that you bet/3bet the flop and get capped, yuck. I call down from there. Maybe button flopped two pair or fastplayed a set?

BBB
Old 12-13-2005, 08:29 PM

looks fine. after the flop cap I'm calling down against an unknown.