Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 03:51 AM

Default Milwaukee Brewers.....

will end this season at .500 and will be in the playoffs within the next 5 years.

Insane or right on? Discuss
Old 07-19-2005, 03:52 AM

Default Re: Milwaukee Brewers.....

.500 this year? no...Playoffs within 5 years? I'd give it an over 50% chance.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:29 AM

Will win the central in the next 5 years. Too much pitching, too many prospects, too many good players on the team now, not to put it together for 1 year and make the playoffs.

Plus if they get close Selig will cheat to get them there
Old 07-19-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Playoffs within 5 years? I'd give it an over 50% chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I miss something. Are they expanding the playoffs to include 5 more wild cards??? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I miss something. Are they expanding the playoffs to include 5 more wild cards??? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed the part where the Brewers pretty much have the best farm system in baseball right now and a lot of very talented young prospects who are currently in their first full season, will be moved up by the end of the year, or should be ready for the majors next year. Add to that a very strong bullpen, some good young arms, and a new owner with a willingness to go out and spend some cash, the Brewers seem to have a bright future in front of them.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:40 PM

I hope so. I am a Brewer fan and used to attend 10-12 games per year when I lived in Madison. I witnessed Yount's 3000th hit and remember when they were perennial contenders in the AL East. They have been so bad for so long, they have now stockpiled loads of talent and their pitching staff is very solid.

Most importantly, since the hiring of Yost as manager and Mike Maddux as pitching coach, they have improved dramatically in cutting down on the number of strikeouts by their hitters and the number of walks by their pitchers. It has helped them become competitive much sooner than I thought they could. If they are instilling these habits in their minor leaguers it could make for a very promising future for the Brewers.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed the part where the Brewers pretty much have the best farm system in baseball right now and a lot of very talented young prospects who are currently in their first full season, will be moved up by the end of the year, or should be ready for the majors next year. Add to that a very strong bullpen, some good young arms, and a new owner with a willingness to go out and spend some cash, the Brewers seem to have a bright future in front of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what he said. I might add that, as a Cub fan, I really hope it doesn't happen.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most importantly, since the hiring of Yost as manager and Mike Maddux as pitching coach, they have improved dramatically in cutting down on the number of strikeouts by their hitters and the number of walks by their pitchers.

[/ QUOTE ]

plus, that rotation's getting a bit scary

Davis 9-7, 4.03era
Capuano 10-6, 3.68era (my preseason sleeper of the year, btw)
Santos 2-10, 3.82era
Sheets 5-6, 3.45era

and they just got Ohka...
Old 07-19-2005, 06:06 PM

Ohka's all smoke and mirrors, living on Damian Moss's magical pixie dust.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Most importantly, since the hiring of Yost as manager and Mike Maddux as pitching coach, they have improved dramatically in cutting down on the number of strikeouts by their hitters and the number of walks by their pitchers.

[/ QUOTE ]

plus, that rotation's getting a bit scary

Davis 9-7, 4.03era
Capuano 10-6, 3.68era (my preseason sleeper of the year, btw)
Santos 2-10, 3.82era
Sheets 5-6, 3.45era

and they just got Ohka...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sheets, Davis, and Capuano have all pitched very well. I'm also a very big fan of Capuano; best pickoff move in baseball and great stuff. Santos pitched marvelously for months and still has the terrible record. Some of the worst run support I've ever seen. Maddux is a fantastic pitching coach.

I think the Brewers will make the playoffs in the next 5 years. Weeks is one of the best 2nd base prospects I've ever seen. Unreal talent. Fielder looks like he could really become a force with the bat. He can hit for average and still hit 40+ homers with a lot of walks. Also, a phenomenal talent. Provided Melvin finds a good trade for Overbay and continues to find the Clarks, Podsednics, Kolbs, and Turnbows, they have a real chance at building a young and competitive club.