Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Flop nut flush, when to push?

I'm trying out PLO8 coming from LHE and LO8 and find myself wanting to keep other players in the hand when I have the nuts and know I should just push.

This hand, I flop the nut flush high with the nut low redraw, OOP. Lots of players in the pot. For some reason, I got obsessed with not giving away my hand.

When do you push?
- flop push broadcasts my hand
- turn push might get rid of players I want hanging around for the river to get quartered. On the other hand, it would be good to make them pay more to draw.

$25 PL Omaha Hi/Lo

Seat 1: A ( $90.43 )
Seat 3: B ( $57.80 )
Seat 4: C ( $24.75 )
Seat 6: D ( $5.71 )
Seat 8: E ( $8.84 )
Seat 9: F ( $60.08 )
Seat 10: G ( $16.90 )
Seat 5: Hero ( $28.72 )
Seat 7: I ( $31.45 )
Seat 2: J ( $23.55 )

B posts small blind [$0.10].
C posts big blind [$0.25].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Ah 2s 4h 6h ]
Hero calls [$0.25].
D calls [$0.25].
I folds.
E calls [$0.25].
F folds.
G calls [$0.25].
A calls [$0.25].
J calls [$0.25].
B folds.
C checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ Kh, 3h, Qh ] 7 players ~$1.85
C checks.
Hero checks.
D bets [$1].
E calls [$1].
G folds.
A calls [$1].
J folds.
C folds.
Hero calls [$1].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 7s ] [ Kh, 3h, Qh ] 4 players ~$5.50
Hero checks.
D checks.
E checks.
A bets [$3].
Hero calls [$3].
D folds.
E folds.
** Dealing River ** [ 6c ] [ 7s Kh, 3h, Qh ] 2 players ~$11.00
Hero bets [$7].
A calls [$7].

Yes, I know I should have pushed the river.

Thoughts?
Old 08-25-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Flop nut flush, when to push?

Worrots,

In Ribbo's post, I said that an argument CAN be made for checking through a nut hand because he had redraws and could actually get a player with the nuts on the flop end up with nothing after the river. (I still like the small bet better in that situation...but I digress.)

In your situation, I pop them right back with a full pot check raise right away.

You have a great hand after the flop, but it can only get worse.

At the very least...you want to get anyone with a low draw out of this hand so you don't split the pot if runner runner low cards come.

I love to trap people, but I don't think this is the position to do it.

Dave
Old 08-25-2005, 03:15 PM

You should be raising the turn. People do not pay to draw to a low or a full house once the river card has come. Your river bet was fine.

I should add that if I do not have the nut low draw on the flop, I raise right there. If I do I may play it slower and let the turn card hit so drawing in people with A2 to call another bet for their big draw to a quarter of the pot.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:33 PM

With that many players in the hand, your check/call plan on the flop is not too bad - someone is probably going to bet it for you, even though you have 3 hearts. Depending where the bet comes from and how many callers, you can also re-raise here. As you are last to act on the bet I would probably min re-raise here and expect at least 2 callers with 7:1 odds.

When the low card comes on the turn, I think here you have to pot it: Firstly you can't run the risk of everyone checking round for a cheap low draw. Secondly you don't want to let people have a free card for a boat. Thirdly and most importantly you want to build the pot so that if you end up splitting low after the river, your 3/4 is worth as much as possible.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:52 PM

One simple question, what do you put the players on that either bet or called the bet after the flop? I'd be worried about a set here and then a draw to the boat. Personally, the check UTG was good but I definitely would have potted it when it came back to me. At least you know what any callers have at this point so if the board pairs, you know what to do.

If there were 2 low cards instead of 1 on the flop, a slow play might have been a better choice as it offers some protection. As an earlier poster said, your high hand only gets worse from here on.

As any advice goes, a lot of it depends on the other players and your knowledge of how they play.