Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-26-2005, 01:38 AM

Default 2 action packed hands where I just call with top pair

Villain is unknown with no stats

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (13 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, UTG calls.

River: (12 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB

Again, my opponents are new to me

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP folds, Hero calls.

River: (8.16 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.16 BB
Old 12-26-2005, 02:05 AM

Default Re: 2 action packed hands where I just call with top pair

the first hand looks solid, but the second hand really confuses me. I'm raising that turn for sure. Chances are you have the best hand, if not, you still have a lot of outs, and can take a free showdown if you don't improve(though, I probably would bet a UI river for value). As is, you need to raise that river since you have top two. That is a mistake, IMO
Old 12-26-2005, 02:10 AM

First hand is goot.

Second hand I would just raise the flop. If BB has a gutshot or a pair you would like him to fold it, or at least chase with incorrect odds. You really should raise the river too, as if he was donking with two pair you just owned the living crap out of it. If he's donking with crap he'll probably pay off and he if has a set or straight... oh well. It's highly likely you are best here, so go for the extra bet.

-K
Old 12-26-2005, 05:16 AM

I'm finding another raise in hand 2. Somewhere. Pretty much all the streets look good for it in fact. Is BB specifically holding 67 enough for you to not raise that river?
Old 12-26-2005, 05:20 AM

I'm finding another raise in hand 2. Why not raise the river? The straights that beat you are QT (unlikely w/flop call and turn donk), T7 (unlikely w/flop call) and 67 (somewhat likely). I think we beat enough goofily played combos of A9/A8/A5 to raise/call a 3-bet on the river here. But I spew, so I could be way off.

Edit: I'd probably raise this flop, actually. But if I didn't, I'd do the river.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:29 AM

*grunch*

Hand 1: I think this is an auto-raise on the flop, since we're not heads-up, with possible flush draw out there. I don't like slowplaying 1-pair hands in a multiway pot. The pot is getting big, do your best to win it, not get cute with slowplaying. A normal person caps preflop with AA-QQ and AK, we're ahead of, or tied with, most of that range, so I wouldn't be scared of UTG. He'll probably pay off with KK and QQ, too, even if we fastplay.

Hand 2: Again, another place where I think it's best to raise the flop, even though in this case, villain's hand range isn't so well-defined. Raising the flop also gets us a little more information on villain's hand. The way you played it, I think a raise on the river is mandatory.