Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-21-2005, 07:16 AM

Default Re: Party 3/6.... do I go for the trifecta while trapping the whole fi

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your play in the hand seems fine to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woops, forgot about preflop, which I definitely don't like. You are rather late, in MP3, and there are simply too few limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Me[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you being ironic, or could you elaborate on that? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not being ironic. I'm not sure what you don't like about it. Are you saying he should be raising or folding? Limping in this spot hoping for seven other callers is the perfect play.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless I have a reason to be believe the risk of getting raised is greater than average (ie there's very aggressive players yet to act) I limp a pair 2nd in. Which means I limp PPs in this situation almost all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I certainly don't, but assuming a limp is correct I probably just play to weak when I don't flop a set with that low a pair. As I see it, if you consider limping 2nd in with 55 in MP3, couldn't an isolation raise be correct then too? I'd rather be heads-up with 55 with the initiative than be 3- or 4-handed without any initiative.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Limping in this spot hoping for seven other callers is the perfect play.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I suppose you're just trying to make fun of me
Old 12-21-2005, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Limping in this spot hoping for seven other callers is the perfect play.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I suppose you're just trying to make fun of me

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm being serious. I want as many callers as possible. If you were on the button and had seven limpers to you holding a PP wouldn't you be ecstatic? Actually you might want to raise in that situation, but that's another topic for another day.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Unless I have a reason to be believe the risk of getting raised is greater than average (ie there's very aggressive players yet to act) I limp a pair 2nd in. Which means I limp PPs in this situation almost all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I certainly don't, but assuming a limp is correct I probably just play to weak when I don't flop a set with that low a pair. As I see it, if you consider limping 2nd in with 55 in MP3, couldn't an isolation raise be correct then too? I'd rather be heads-up with 55 with the initiative than be 3- or 4-handed without any initiative.

[/ QUOTE ]
I alwaystry to find those isolation raises, but raising raising 55 2nd in from MP3 is pushing it a little too much, especially against an unknown UTG+1 limper. Even if i knew he sucks I would probably just call.

As for playing ui I will almost always fold if it gets bet before me, but most often bet if I'm checked to. Of course this is depending on my reads, how many players saw the flop and the texture of the board, but in general that'swhat I do most of the time.

On average I think we can count on 4 players to the flop for 1 SB each. We like that. Sometimes only BB comes along to the flop, but that will give us the opportunity to play this hand UI as well, since we'll get checked to pretty frequently.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose my subconscious reasoning was that if it was 100% sure CO would bet, it would be very likely he would raise after we bet too, and if it was 100% certain CO would raise, a bet from us is of course correct.

[/ QUOTE ]
It would make the decision closer, but I still would check/raise. As said, facing the 2 other players with 2 cold will only help them to make the correct decision. Protecting our hand will only make hands that don't have the odds to call to fold, while check/raising will make these hands (gut-shots, pairs etc...) to call.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I suppose my subconscious reasoning was that if it was 100% sure CO would bet, it would be very likely he would raise after we bet too, and if it was 100% certain CO would raise, a bet from us is of course correct.

[/ QUOTE ]
It would make the decision closer, but I still would check/raise. As said, facing the 2 other players with 2 cold will only help them to make the correct decision. Protecting our hand will only make hands that don't have the odds to call to fold, while check/raising will make these hands (gut-shots, pairs etc...) to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has to be wrong. I really don't mind getting gut-shots to fold, even if that's the correct decision for them. In this large pot, the most important thing is to win it, hasn't that been written like a thousand times in ToP and SSHE and such?
Old 12-21-2005, 04:52 PM

Dude, this is a tailor made turn check raise, take advantage of it. You don't need to worry about folding out draws on the turn as the pot is so big a straight/flush draw is never folding, thus you would like to string along the people drawing nearly dead by trapping them for two bets.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This has to be wrong. I really don't mind getting gut-shots to fold, even if that's the correct decision for them. In this large pot, the most important thing is to win it, hasn't that been written like a thousand times in ToP and SSHE and such?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a close decision, but one thing that I know for sure is that your reasoning is flawed. You shouldn't be using general rules for how to play a hand when the pot is big, you should look at every situation separately. It's easy, we gain when our opponents make mistakes, we shouldn't be helping our opponents to play correct according to the fundamental theorem of poker. We want gut-shots to call, just look at the pot!

EDIT: and what makes it close is that we'll charge strong more by betting and getting raised, not that we'll get hands to fold...
Old 12-21-2005, 06:16 PM

About 25% of the hands he's holding here is flushdraws. I prefer just betting out...