Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-20-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Re: another river bet/fold (WA/WB)

[ QUOTE ]
Both players are unknown

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP calls, Button calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

[/ QUOTE ]
I want to 3-bet this. Bad?
Old 12-20-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And how are you doing?

[/ QUOTE ] Why do you ask? I'm up .5 bb after 30,000 hands. I have a feeling I'm a 1bb/100 player right now. 3/6 is tougher than 1/2, but I think anyone with basic poker skills including tilt management can beat it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi jt,
I just asked because I thought you were overplaying your hand, but if you're having success it might indicate I'm wrong or that the 3/6 game is more aggressive than 1/2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Tom,

The 3/6 and 5/10 games are significantly more aggressive than 1/2. There are also enough skilled players at this level that they will see this flop and realize it's unlikely that the PFR hit it, even if they didn't either. So, you will find that you often have to call down hands with reasonable showdown value such as a broadway ace or premium pp because otherwise you might be pushed out by an aggressive player with a worse hand pretty often.

In this case however, it seems pretty clear that hero is beat.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:21 AM

I think you played it perfectly actually. Your're getting roughly 3:1 on a call down and I think the average 3/6 lagtastic 6 max player is raising a smaller pocket pair on this dry flop 1 in 4 times.

River looks good also since it gains you one BB when he calls with a worse hand when he would have just checked it behind. Your getting raised here by a worse hand close to 0 times. The only other option would be to check/fold but this doesn't really fit into our reasoning for calling the flop. Check calling is also bad since he's only betting hands that beat ours a large majority of the time.