Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-13-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Certainly there\'s a better line

I'd rather fold preflop. You will sometimes be up against a bigger pocket pair, you're not getting odds to hit a set, ten of the 12 remaining non set cards are overcards, your out of position and against a hyper-aggressive postflop player so it will often be hard to tell if your ahead or not.

That being said, if your going to take the lead preflop with a three-bet, it seems to me the plan would then be to continue betting on every street no matter what comes, at least until you get raised on a big street. Three betting the flop and folding to a cap might be another continuation plan.

I actually don't like this plan as it seems like a 50-50 crapshoot at best. But being OOP with an aggressive opponent might skew the odds to less than 50% as you might win less when you win and lose more when you lose. But if your not going to do something similar, I think the preflop three bet is wasted as you will be folding the best hand sometimes.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

And forfeit an almost certain equity edge vs. this opponent? We'll win unimproved here quite often, and we'll make tons when we hit a set. This would be a very bad play in my opinion. Then again, shadow's postflop play is pretty terrible, so maybe a fold wouldn't be a bad idea for him.
Joking, he's a friend of mine, don't jump on my balls. But he does suck at poker.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:28 AM

These players seem to be very common at 5/10 and you can lose a lot if you don't go to SD against them with anything decent.
He can bet the turn with A-high, pair of 2s enough times to make a calldown profitable.
I also don't like the PF 3-bet esp. if you are not that confident on your hand (44) postflop.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:06 AM

Grunch:

If you 3-bet this PF, you gotta go to showdown on this board. I'd let him lead, then bet-call a non-A river (let him bluff the A too).
Old 12-14-2005, 06:54 AM

So this is a grunch. Tricky hand, on the flop i think you may need to go for a Check-Raise. I dont think we're behind here and raising his bet(Using your read) will ask him if he really wants to throw more cash in this pot with whatever he holds. If he did 3bet i would call down most likly. You say hes super aggressive so i see very little risk in having this checked through. You're read is ok, but you really must make him question his hand. in the AK example it didn't sound SUPER AGGRESSIVE, he was OOP i assume and you bet all streets UI?

I'd say C/R the flop, If 3bet i'll start to worry about a bigger pair using your read and may just fold there and then(We dont have many outs when behind of course). On the other hand, We could be far ahead of far behind. We're screw by PP's and the tiny chance he has a 7. However we're ahead of overcards but he does have a fair ammount of outs.

I'd say C/r the flop and bet turn if he doesn't 3bet. If he does 3bet call down or fold there and then.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]And forfeit an almost certain equity edge vs. this opponent?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi DC,

Hero's equity edge in this hand doesn't seem like such a big deal to me.

- For instance, giving the opponent T8o with different suits than hero, hero's preflop equity edge is 51.3 to 48.6. (Poker Stove)

- Even giving villian something that he probably wouldn't raise with like 65o and hero's equity edge is only 53 to 46%.

- If villian has JTs, hero is a slight dog at 47%.

- I'd guess just being OOP is probably more of a detriment than 3% to 4% equity edge can make up.

- And if villian has any bigger pocket pair, hero has only 19% equity.

It seems to me to be a crapshoot, but being OOP with a baby pair makes it much harder to capitalize when your ahead. If you play it hard, Villian can fold the hands where he misses, but he can punish you when he's strong, or just let you do the betting for him with a decent holding that he'll want to take to showdown HU. Maybe this is a play that I just don't understand, because it doesn't seem like a desirable situation to me.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="green">I'd rather fold preflop. You will sometimes be up against a bigger pocket pair, you're not getting odds to hit a set,</font> ten of the 12 remaining non set cards are overcards, your out of position and against a hyper-aggressive postflop player so it will often be hard to tell if your ahead or not.

That being said, if your going to take the lead preflop with a three-bet, it seems to me the plan would then be to continue betting on every street no matter what comes, at least until you get raised on a big street. <font color="red">Three betting the flop and folding to a cap might be another continuation plan. </font>

I actually don't like this plan as it seems like a 50-50 crapshoot at best. <font color="blue">But being OOP with an aggressive opponent might skew the odds to less than 50% as you might win less when you win and lose more when you lose. </font>But if your not going to do something similar, I think the preflop three bet is wasted as you will be folding the best hand sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="green">You cannot be serious. This guy raises 30 PERCENT of his hands pf, imagine what his steal numbers look like. You do not need to hit a set, your pair will be the best hand on this flop most of the time. A pair of fours is a good hand, and one you should defend with. You can't just let him steal your blinds so easily, it's automatic profit for him.</font>

<font color="red">You don't want to make plays like this (3-bet and fold to a cap) against opponents who can easily do [censored] like this on a bluff/semibluff. Since the initial flop raise is often just a move to get you to fold, you should not set yourself up to do so later in the hand. If you build a big pot against a LAG, you show it down. If you might want to fold, then keep the pot small and let him take a smaller pot off you. That's a general principle that you should keep in mind.</font>

<font color="blue">He never bluffs in position?</font>
Old 12-14-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain here is nutso. Something like 65/30, but also hyper aggresssive post-flop.

But he tends to back down to aggression with hands like middle pair. Flop is J34 (two spades, I think), I raised his flop bet with AK, then he checks all the way down with 88.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know why everyone is complaining about the pf 3-bet. We're in the SB and we want to get the BB out of the hand against a loose stealer. It makes it way easier to play postflop, we no longer have to worry about forcing some donk out on the flop.

What was your read on the BB?
Old 12-14-2005, 06:38 PM

I'd fold preflop. Given your 3-bet I'm getting to showdown. My suggestion would be to bet the turn, call a raise, and check the river, calling basically any non-King.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:07 PM

Rob,

Are you folding this hand for real pf? This dude is 65/30 with an even bigger (likely) ATSB. Certainly our equity edge is too big to pass up?

His range is probably something like 22+, J7o+, Q6o+, Kxo+, Axo+, all suited J-A, and some offsuit and suited connectors.

I agree that the turn fold is pretty bad. I think that I got spooked by the K. My plan was to check/call down after his flop raise, if the turn wasn't an A. I guess I extended that qualifier to a K as well.

Your post-flop plan is fairly similar to mine, in that yours involves getting to showdown. I am curious, however, about your turn donk. Wouldn't we rather he bluff the chips off? If he checked behind the turn, in my plan, I was betting any non-K river.