Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Table coach berates me over $8.50

Even though this is a NL200 hand, I am going to post it here. The hand itself is unremarkable. The thoughts of the guy who berated me are what leads me to post it in SSNL.

$1/$2 NLHE 6-handed

Hero ($300)
BB ($18.50)
MP ($98)
CO ($265)
Button ($325)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
1 fold, MP calls $2, CO calls $2, Button calls $2, Hero calls $1, BB checks.

Flop: ($9.50) A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
Hero bets $8, BB calls $8, 3 folds.

Turn: ($25.75) T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero bets $8.50 (putting BB all-in), BB folds.

And then I showed my quads. Table coach/fishy player in MP starts in on teaching me. 'Dude, you had quads', 'Why'd you bet there, let him hit his hand,' 'I can't believe you bet that, that was just dumb, if a diamond comes...if an ace comes....etc. etc. etc.'

And I wondered how many people here would check that hand on the turn?? If your first inclination is to check the turn here, reexamine. It'll help your game a little bit.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Table coach berates me over $8.50

i dont know how to reply to this.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:10 PM

Just ignore that stupid table coach. If he does indeed have any piece he is certainly calling for about 1/3 of the pot, and if you check and he misses you lose that value you could of gained. Just ignore table coaches in general, and dont show your hand next time.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:11 PM

Nice post. I'll let someone else post the moral to your story [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Nice hand.

The guy coaching seems silly. Though in reality, I don't think it matters much if you bet the turn or the river. You're hand is nearly unbeatable. But if he would call $8 on the flop, I don't see why $8.50 would scare him away on the turn (though obviously the 10 could have scared him.)

If your stack was deeper, then I would argue you have to bet the turn. But considering you only have 1 small bet left... I suppose in this particular case, it couldn't hurt to check it... maybe you get lucky and induce a bluff?

But the coach is really overreacting.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont know how to reply to this.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
And I wondered how many people here would check that hand on the turn?? If your first inclination is to check the turn here, reexamine. It'll help your game a little bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you would have bet the turn there, no need to reply. If you would have checked the turn there, think about it and plug that leak. That is all. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The guy coaching seems silly. Though in reality, I don't think it matters much if you bet the turn or the river. You're hand is nearly unbeatable. But if he would call $8 on the flop, I don't see why $8.50 would scare him away on the turn (though obviously the 10 could have scared him.)

If your stack was deeper, then I would argue you have to bet the turn. But considering you only have 1 small bet left... I suppose in this particular case, it couldn't hurt to check it... maybe you get lucky and induce a bluff?

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, there is a flush draw on the flop, why check the turn and let him fold if he misses. Charge him on the turn, just dont price him out, price him in. 3-1 looks good to me, which coincidentally is how much villain had left.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't know what BB is calling with on the flop that he's folding on the turn. But my understanding of the idea at play here is that it doesn't matter if you bet the turn or river here if he has an A, as he is likely getting his $$ in. However, if he has diamonds, if you bet here, he will usually call. If you wait, he will only put his money in the 20% of the time that he hits his flush on the river. Much more +EV to bet now.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:29 PM

I think this is really people dependent and also, without knowing what the opponent has, completely random.

A couple of things to consider (imo)... a lot of people get scared by a paired board. A lot of people drawing to a flush realize they might be drawing dead once the board pairs. He might not pay to get his flush... but if he gets there for free, maybe he won't fold it.

The person might have an underpair and wanted to 'test' if the hero really had an ace. He might bet if checked to. He might bet if the hero shows weakness anyways.

Personally, I only check with a set if I know an aggressor after me will definitely bet. I'm only saying that in this case, with the hero's stack so short, I don't know if it makes a hell of difference what he does.

Without knowing the villain's hand, we can't say for certain if he's more likely to call a bet on the turn or the river.

If there were 2 deep stacks, I would say 'build build build' that pot.