Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-05-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Oil & Water pt. II

First hour of 30+3 DeepStack NLHE.

Villain is a maniac, who seems more interested in pulling off big bluffs than playing to win.
Here is a hand I played against him earlier.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB (t3550)
Hero (t6200)
UTG+1 (t4900)
MP1 (t4220)
MP2 (t4990)
MP3 (t4920)
CO (t6550)
Button (t4470)
SB (t5200)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t60, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls t60, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t60, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t40.

Flop: (t310) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t310) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t120</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t560</font>, MP3 folds, Button folds, BB folds, Hero calls t440.

River: (t1430) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t1520</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t2950

MP1 shows 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Outcome: MP1 wins t2950.

That was actually one of his better bluffs given the way I played the hand and the river card I think he's play was pretty good. However, he had many a few other bluffs on other players that were quite bad, but despite being caught a couple of times was currently sitting on a pretty good stack.

My plan was to wait for a nice hand and then give him rope to hang himself. The question is, is this the hand?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP1 (t2955)
Hero (t4315)
MP3 (t3685)
CO (t10400)
Button (t9510)
SB (t8815)
BB (t4490)
UTG (t3735)
UTG+1 (t7310)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t120</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t690</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls t570.

Flop: (t1455) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t3690 (my exact stack size at this point)</font>, Hero ???

I saw no point in leading the flop here, because I didn't see it as deterring this player from pushing, even if he had something like AK.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Oil & Water pt. II

Constant bluffers pick up big pairs as often as anybody. Have you seen this line from him before?

Knowing whether he usually pots it like this is pretty important, as well as how often he's reraised preflop.

That said, I think he's likely to play AA, KK, QQ, TT, 99, 88, and even AK/AQ this way. What do YOU think?

This situation is probably more marginal than it looks. I'd like more information before making this decision.

*expects many "Easy push"'s*
Old 12-05-2005, 08:49 PM

the first one i usually fold the turn, even against a maniac.

edit: actually i would say that, if you had decided he was bluffing the turn, i don't think an overbet on the river should change that read. i mean i wasn't there to make the read on the turn, and clearly you made the right one. i wouldn't give someone more credit for a hand because of a river overbet.

the second one.... "easy push" ? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2005, 08:51 PM

easy push
Old 12-05-2005, 08:55 PM

I guess I didn't read too closely. I thought we had like 10k chips for some reason. With him putting us all-in, I do think it's a pretty easy call. I would've pushed over his raise preflop though if I thought I was ahead.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

edit: actually i would say that, if you had decided he was bluffing the turn, i don't think an overbet on the river should change that read. i mean i wasn't there to make the read on the turn, and clearly you made the right one. i wouldn't give someone more credit for a hand because of a river overbet.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not so simple as "reading him for a bluff on the turn". It's a matter of probabilities. If you call the turn, you call it because he has a bluff or a hand you can beat often enough to call and see the river and river action. Two of the hands he could beat on the turn (a 5 and a flush draw) passed him on the river. Now he's only ahead of a bluff.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not so simple as "reading him for a bluff on the turn". It's a matter of probabilities. If you call the turn, you call it because he has a bluff or a hand you can beat often enough to call and see the river and river action. Two of the hands he could beat on the flop (a 5 and a flush draw) passed him on the river. Now he's only ahead of a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, this is my mistake. i didnt notice that it was the second 5 as well.

nevermind!