Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 11:01 AM

Default How many BB/100 has the change in rake structure taken from us?

Now that the dust has settled and many of us have played a meaningful number of hands since Party introduced its new rake structure around September 1, I have some questions.

How many BB/100 has the change in rake structure taken from us? I am interested in the answer for any limit from .5/1 to 100/200.

I am also interested in the more specific aspects and implications of this impact. For instance, what it the approximat and/or relative impact on each position from the button to the big blind?

How much if any and where should we be tightening up in response?

Thanks,
Cartman
Old 12-01-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: How many BB/100 has the change in rake structure taken from us?

[ QUOTE ]

How many BB/100 has the change in rake structure taken from us? I am interested in the answer for any limit from .5/1 to 100/200.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the 10-20 level, compiling data from two DBs, it looks like you lose between 0.2 - 0.25 BB/100 depending on your vpip if you are a TAG playing in mostly full 6-max games.

[ QUOTE ]

I am also interested in the more specific aspects and implications of this impact. For instance, what it the approximat and/or relative impact on each position from the button to the big blind?

How much if any and where should we be tightening up in response?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is only a difference when there are exactly 6 people who received a hand, since that is the only situation for which the rake has changed.
In this case, preflop situations that were slightly positive EV must now be negative EV. It's really hard for anyone to give a precise number on the preflop EV of a certain play, but suffice it to say that the most marginal of your plays should no longer be made. Let's say you used to steal with J7o on the button and somehow knew that you were making 0.004 bb on that play. Here's a simplified example to see what happens with the new rake structure:

Let's say you win 50% of the time with that J7o. 20% of the time you pay $1 rake, 20% of the time you pay $2 rake, and 10% of the time you used to pay $2 rake but now pay $3 rake. The other 50% of the time you pay no rake since you lose the hand.

This means you pay an extra $1 10% of the time, which is 0.1*$1= 10 cents = 0.005 bb.

So the hand that used to make 0.004 bb now loses 0.001 bb.
So all hands that were in the 0 - 0.005 EV threshold now become losers. How many, if any, pre-flop situations fall into that group? It's really hard to say.