Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-28-2005, 01:55 AM

Default A question worthless enough for the general forum.

Why do people say they have aces up in holdem when they hold Ax and the board is A77. Am I the only one who find this completely stupid? Were you going to lose the hand if not for the 77's? You can't outkick someone with them, it makes virtually zero difference that you have that 2nd pair as far as hand strength goes. The XXXX up expression makes sense in non community games, not holdem. From now on if I have AK and the board is A7777 I'm going to say I have Quads up.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Re: A question worthless enough for the general forum.

[ QUOTE ]
Why do people say they have aces up in holdem when they hold Ax and the board is A77. Am I the only one who find this completely stupid? Were you going to lose the hand if not for the 77's? You can't outkick someone with them, it makes virtually zero difference that you have that 2nd pair as far as hand strength goes. The XXXX up expression makes sense in non community games, not holdem. From now on if I have AK and the board is A7777 I'm going to say I have Quads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Firstly, your example makes little sense since we don't announce our hands on the flop. However, if we held AT on the following board:

AKJ44

...the fact that the river paired the turn card just pushed us ahead of the guy with KJ who was whipsawing our butt with his flopped two-pair.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:38 AM

Of course I understand that, but the whole term doesn't make sense. It's not part of your hand. AJ on the flop of AJx is aces up, you have two pair. The only meaning to the XXX Up term is to say you counterfitted another 2 pair, but this information is worthless since as far as you know he could of filled up or spiked trips. The term has vrtually no meaning at all. Everytime someone says it you have to look at the board to see if they have 2 pair or just 1pair with a pair on board. The purpose of phrases is to share meaning and this phrase doesnt accomplish this at all when used in community games and I felt like posting a topic that was as bad as everything else here. Mission accomplished
Old 11-28-2005, 02:58 AM

I don't see the problem here? XXX up just means two pair with XXX being your higher pair. What does it matter if one of the pairs is on the board?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:29 AM

It doesn't convey any information. Let's say in 7cs you say I have jacks up. It means something and its shorthanded for saying I have 2 pair with the highest being jacks. In holdem it DOESNT MEAN ANYTHING. It's a puzzle. Does he have 1 pair on w/ a pair on board? Does he have 2 pair? I dont know. What do you say when you showdown a hand? "I have Kings up"...."Me too, what's your kicker?"...."A ten". What was the point of all the wasted speech.?

If you say "I have a aces, ten kicker." Bam, I know exactly what you mean.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:16 AM

I don't know it just doesn't seem to matter to me if a guy says aces up or not. If I have KJ on a AKJ44 board then I know I'm beat when he says, "aces up" and I know I'm beat if he says, "I have an ace". Likewise if we both pair our ace I'm still asking his kicker when he just says, "aces".

I guess I'm just misunderstanding why it bothers you so much. I realize it doesn't give you any extra information but it doesn't give you any less either.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:37 AM

Because you have two pair.

You're also overestimating this forum. This question isn't nearly dumb enough to be here.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:31 AM

I agree and also I hate when people at showdown on say a A77xy board announce "two pair" and then show an ace. Duh. When I am in that situation I say "ace" I think any moron can figure out that makes two pair there. If I have two pair using both my hole cards then I say "two pair". These things are important in my OCD world.

-DeathDonkey
Old 11-28-2005, 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course I understand that, but the whole term doesn't make sense. It's not part of your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, since your final hand has 5 cards in it......you are a retard. Aces up is correct. If you have AA on a board of JQ666, do you say you have a pair?
Old 11-28-2005, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, since your final hand has 5 cards in it......you are a retard. Aces up is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

^^ quoted for truth.

It may not be a very useful way of thinking about your relative hand value, ("OMG, THE TURN PAIRED AND GAVE ME ACES UP, RAAAAAIISSSSEEE!"), but it's entirely correct description of a hand.