Two Plus Two Older Archives

Old 11-22-2005, 06:40 AM
Blarg Blarg is offline
Senior Member

Default ER....is this for real?

Check out this freaky e-mail message. Any chance this is legit?

[ QUOTE ]

From: Admin@fbi.gov
Subject: Your_IP_was_logged

Dear Sir/Madam,

we have logged your IP-address on more than 30 illegal Websites.

Important:
Please answer our questions!
The list of questions are attached.

Yours faithfully,
Steven Allison

*** Federal Bureau of Investigation -FBI-
*** 935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Room 3220
*** Washington, DC 20535
*** phone: (202) 324-3000

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't seem possible that this could be true, especially as I don't know what they could be talking about. Illegal websites? 30 of them? I don't think I've even been on more than a handful of porno sites since I got this computer.

Attached is a zip file, which I don't want to open and get infected by if this is some kind of a hack or hoax.

Old 11-22-2005, 06:43 AM
Vavavoom Vavavoom is offline
Member

Location: London, UK
Default Re: ER....is this for real?

U were nearly the first ...
Old 11-22-2005, 06:45 AM
jokerthief jokerthief is offline
Junior Member

The FBI would find you in person if this was true.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:45 AM
jason_t jason_t is offline
Senior Member

Location: Another downswing?

How did an OOT pro miss this?
Old 11-22-2005, 06:46 AM
billyjex billyjex is offline
Senior Member

Location: whoring

come on man you know better
Old 11-22-2005, 06:47 AM
Blarg Blarg is offline
Senior Member

Ah, I see, thanks.

I'm not wise in the ways that people can fake where a message is from, or even that they could.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:47 AM
tonypaladino tonypaladino is offline
Senior Member

Location: props to Stuey for fixing my avatar

[ QUOTE ]
Any chance this is legit?

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, Blarg, just....wow
Old 11-22-2005, 06:50 AM
Blarg Blarg is offline
Senior Member

Yeah, I should know better. That's why I didn't open it. But I'm not really aware about faked e-mail addresses. Didn't know that could be done.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:50 AM
jokerthief jokerthief is offline
Junior Member

One more thought; quit the kiddy porn and you can sleep much sounder.

Old 11-22-2005, 06:54 AM
diebitter diebitter is offline
Senior Member

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I should know better. That's why I didn't open it. But I'm not really aware about faked e-mail addresses. Didn't know that could be done.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no validation on sent stuff, so an email can appear to come from absolutely anywhere, and not be the real sender's email. I know cos my own site was used in spamming as the sender address, and I got back hundreds of bounces etc. It sucks.