Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 03:20 AM

Default Re: Runsfeld Clears Things Up

[ QUOTE ]
Here are some good reasons for war:

1. Bold Conquest i.e., land grab.
2. Long-term economic and political gain.
3. Influence and dominance in trade routes.
4. Protection of important resources and/or to gain resources for self-interest and economic power.
5. Revenge/punishment for past acts.
6. Your God is more powerful than the other guys God - thus a war should be successful with all the attendant gains involved.
7. To free your 'country' or 'clan' from tyranny.
8. To spread your religion with all the attendant economic and political gain that comes with it.

Any one or combination of the above is a good reason(s) to engage in war.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have an interesting definition of "good". I see only one of those that's clearly a "good" reason.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here are some good reasons for war:

1. Bold Conquest i.e., land grab.
2. Long-term economic and political gain.
3. Influence and dominance in trade routes.
4. Protection of important resources and/or to gain resources for self-interest and economic power.
5. Revenge/punishment for past acts.
6. Your God is more powerful than the other guys God - thus a war should be successful with all the attendant gains involved.
7. To free your 'country' or 'clan' from tyranny.
8. To spread your religion with all the attendant economic and political gain that comes with it.

Any one or combination of the above is a good reason(s) to engage in war.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have an interesting definition of "good". I see only one of those that's clearly a "good" reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

...........#7
Old 11-21-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Well Thought Out Post, Makes Valid Points Worth Considering (n/m)

Old 11-21-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget that you need some intense combat every 20 years or so to ensure that future generations of your colonels, generals, and your joint chiefs of staff actually have some combat experience - because if future future generations must enter war, it would be utterly inconceivable for them to do so under military commanders with no combat experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you envision yourself as one of those military commanders that 'needs the experience'?

Or, do you fall into the 'cannon fodder' category of most of the rest of us?

Do you have a resume in either of the above categories?
Old 11-22-2005, 01:43 PM

Default The Shining Light

Who could forget the classic "Where are WMDs?"

[ QUOTE ]
We know where they are. They're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south and north somewhat.
Donald Rumsfeld
ABC Interview, March 30, 2003

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh, could you draw me a map there, Rummy?
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-purportedly having attempted to have Bush #1 assassinated

[/ QUOTE ]

Err...the US has an active policy of supporting assasination attempts. Are you really suggesting that all those countries should be able to then attack soverign US soil? (not withstanding thefact that none of them would have the power)
Old 11-22-2005, 03:32 PM

Cheney also cited the assassination attempt in his justification of the war in his speech yesterday.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue">That ALONE is cause for re-invading and deposing the SOB. </font>

When you are part of the UN you have a responsibility to act WITH the UN unless an imminent threat is present.

And that's really what it's all about, isn't it? "Imminent Threat? I'm an armchair obvserver and I had enough sense to know that Saddam Hussein was NOT an imminent threat to myself, family, or fellow US citizens. Not for a while anyway. There was a little something ELSE I was kinda concenered about though. A group that calls themselves Al-Qada. THEY were an imminent threat! So what do we do?

We put the REAL threat Bin Laden on the side, squander the important good-will from previous unlikely nations due to 9-11, create a recruiting boom for our enemy that they couldn't have dreamed possible, created BAD will amongst almost everyone, and mired ourselves in an unwinnable war at the cost of billions of dollars and thousands of US soldier's lives!

Yes, Saddam needed to be dealt with as do several other evil dictators, but this was like taking your eye off the mob in front of your house with torches and guns, and going after the kid with the squirt gun, because he's one of them and may grow up to hurt us at a later date.

I predict that this administration will go down as the most incompetent in history. They have literally turned me from a life long republican into a democrat. I'd vote for Mickey Mouse if it prevents another idiot like Bush from getting in. In fact, I'll bet Mickey's got a watch with a picture of George W Bush on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

....after re-reading this string, I think Lestat has done a nice job of summing up this issue....