Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker

Old 11-19-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Guts Tournament

I've turned a lot of folks onto the game of 3 Card Guts lately. I know it's a silly game, but it's a lot of fun and it's something different for a change. A couple folks have asked me about organizing a guts tourney. My question is, how would this work? In guts you need to have enough chips in front of you to match the pot if you lose, so I am looking for a fair way to circumvent this issue in a tournament (since you cannot add more chips, after rebuys end at least). Any suggestions would be welcome.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Guts Tournament

Guts is a lot of fun in a freindly home game. I am going to have to say that organizing a guts tournament is probably not a good idea. If u wanted to give it a try, start each player with a ton of chips, and make the ante very low in realation to the stacks, and try to double the antes every 20 minutes or so.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:00 PM

can someone explain guts 4 me? thks
Old 11-19-2005, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guts is a lot of fun in a freindly home game. I am going to have to say that organizing a guts tournament is probably not a good idea. If u wanted to give it a try, start each player with a ton of chips, and make the ante very low in realation to the stacks, and try to double the antes every 20 minutes or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's good advice, but it does not answer my question --- what should be done if a player doesn't have enough chips left to match the pot if he loses?

P.S. Here are rules for 3 card guts:

http://www.superiorpoker.com/thegames/guts.html
Old 11-19-2005, 10:26 PM

What he has left goes into the next pot and he's eliminated. He does NOT get cards on his all in hand... he's just gone. Guts doesn't have a table stakes rule.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What he has left goes into the next pot and he's eliminated. He does NOT get cards on his all in hand... he's just gone. Guts doesn't have a table stakes rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's if a player must match a pot and can't, right?
Old 11-20-2005, 02:09 PM

Change it to a limit format, instead of matching the pot?
Old 11-20-2005, 03:26 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by that... in guts, the loser must match the pot, up to a certain limit.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's good advice, but it does not answer my question --- what should be done if a player doesn't have enough chips left to match the pot if he loses?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems to me that would be the way that people would be knocked out of the tourney. Having a pot get so big that you'd essentially be all in were you to decide to play.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can someone explain guts 4 me? thks

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the link in one of the previous posts. It's a pretty good explanation of the game.

If a player loses and has to match the pot but doesn't have enough chips he should be eliminated. However, unlike previously mentioned, I think he should get a hand for his all in. He should automatically be all in and if he wins he should get his chips back. If there were two losers he should only win his share of the others chips from the other players.

Also as a general rule, taken from the website given earlier, the chip stacks must be at LEAST 100x the inital ante. I'd start the tournament with $50 in chips or something like that, and have the antes start at a dime. Then double or simply raise them as you want. Maybe every 10 minutes you raise the ante another dime. This could be fun, maybe PM me when you see how it goes, I'm interested.

Maybe I'll run one tonight and let you know how it goes [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

JMB