Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 11-10-2005, 08:40 PM

Default tournament AND ring games...you\'re crazy

That's what I was told by a player who, in my poker youth, I had deamed the local pro. Now, I've come across many different opinions regarding whether it is correct to focus all attention on tournament play or simply to balance my attention between tourneys and ring limit games. Two totally different worlds, I know. The thing with ring games is that "real" money is on the line, I could lose a couple hundred a night in a couple of hours (I've actually never had that happen) but with tourneys I can get a lot more time at the table for a much lessor price.
My question is:
Can a player make more money playing in regular limit ring games as compared to tourneys. Tourneys have much more variance whereas tight-aggressive play at the limit table could render a much more consistent income. what do you think?

thanks
Old 11-10-2005, 08:45 PM

Default Re: tournament AND ring games...you\'re crazy

[ QUOTE ]
Tourneys have much more variance whereas tight-aggressive play at the limit table could render a much more consistent income. what do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you answered your own question.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:25 PM

excellent

just lookin to see if people agree with me
Old 11-10-2005, 10:14 PM

There's seriously no reason you can't do both. In fact, thinking about the differences will probably help you in both.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's seriously no reason you can't do both. In fact, thinking about the differences will probably help you in both.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. You can take either ring or tournies more "seriously" by playing more of one. The popular view of cash games is that they are looked at as an hourly earn. In contrast, tournies are looked at from more of a ROI perspective.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:54 AM

Just do what feels best. If that means only playing cash games, do it. I play about 70% of the time Full Ring Cash, and the rest of the time I play stud ring and tourney games. I do this to keep focussed on my main NLHE game. If I only play NLHE I have a much harder time concentrating.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but with tourneys I can get a lot more time at the table for a much lessor price.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if your trying to make money you don't really want more time on the table. You want to make more money in less time. The differance is a bigger pay off compared to your buy-in.

By the sound of it your playing for fun not profit. So which ever you like best.

But I think its always good to shift gears and vary the games you can play.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:24 PM

I do both. I play 3/6 and 5/10 limit as more of a 'grind' to make a more consistent poker income, and I play tournaments because I think it helps improve my game, and I think they're more fun.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:03 PM

I play 95% ring games for my income. Even with a tight aggresive style, the variance is still there. Some weeks your good hands just dont seem to hold up as much. But the variance is much lower than a full time tourney player. I play some tournies also for the experience and because it can add a good bonus to my weekly income for a couple hours work.

Overall, your insights are correct, but there really isn't any reason why you can't play both as long as you can shift gears between the playing styles required for the different games.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:49 PM

The original post wasn't (I think) explicit in explaining if this is a hobby or pro question. I am a hobby player who uses my SNG winings to feed my MTT habit. The SNG yields a fairly predictable stream of income (especially at the lower ($10) levels which I then invest in MTTs for their bigger payout.

For example: This morning I played a $10 SNG on UB and took first place for $50. I then invested $22 in one of Stars $20+2/180 player SNG MTT hybrids and won 4th place for a return of $288(I think). So today I am up a total of $305 over 4 1/2 hours of play.