Default Re: AK oddity

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome back, Kaishin!

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What was your goal in betting the flop? Were you trying to go with a b/c, b/3b line? b/c, c/r? b/3b, b? That's a more interesting question than just if you should bet the flop. If you c/r the flop and bet the turn, I think you're loosing bets from a PP that might call you down if you bet, and you might shutdown a weaker A too early. A c/c, c/r line is similar. I think that betting out is correct.

Man, that's a hideous river. My gut said bet/fold, but I'm not so sure. On the off chance he has AJs, he's almost certainly betting if checked to, given his aggressive slowplay. He's also certain to call with it. I don't think there are any hands he can have here that will call if you bet, but check behind if you call. I think one bet is going in on this street no matter what. Given that, I want to see a showdown rather than bet/folding. I like your play.

[/ QUOTE ]

good analysis of why we should be the flop. very nice. Also, against aggressive opponents sometimes I throw out a bet, c/r combo if I feel I'm becoming predictable.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:47 AM

Default Re: AKo hand

[ QUOTE ]
0. doesnt' mteter
1. meh.
2. yes!
3. meh.
4. hnto as retarded mas i was 2.5 hotrs ago;.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, this is good stuff. We'll have to point him in the direction of these posts the next time he goes on an ego trip (i.e., tomorrow).
Old 11-03-2005, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What was your goal in betting the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
i don't want to give him a chance to fold 88-KK. i want him to think i'm weak - and in doing so, let him hang himself by slowplaying his AJ/AQ hands. basically your thoughts reflect mine.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And no, I don't cap preflop,

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?
Old 11-03-2005, 02:54 AM

We're OOP. He's quite tight, espeically by 6 max standards. He's probably positionally aware, and he's in MP, nto button or a blind (especially SB). I don't think we're a big enough favorite against his range, especially OOP, to want to cap. There are a lot of players I will cap this against, and if there was a moran who called 3 cold in the pot paying me off, too, I'd be more inclined to cap.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And no, I don't cap preflop,

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

oop vs a good player we have a diverse enough arsenal of plays that we can play just about any flop. However, capping preflop takes away some of our plays.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:56 AM

That is a very, very interesting point. You should consider fleshing that out into a new post.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:57 AM

Dude the read is over 30 hands. We can't base much off it. I think we're missing out on too much value here. Of course I can see switching it up a bit but I think capping needs to be the main play here. Too good a hand for a 5-handed game.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:59 AM

* grunch *

0: should i have capped preflop? (in position i like to, but often i won't cap out of position against a "good" player)

A good player will reraise with AA-TT, AK, AKs. So preflop you figure to be slightly behind so capping is probably -EV with AK.

1. should i have bet the flop?

Against the aforemention range of hands you are ahead of all but AA and tied with AK, AKs (actually you are behind A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] as well). You are vunerable to paint to any paint falling so slow-playing is not an option. Bet for value.

2. should i have 3-bet the turn?

A non 8 heart is a great card for you. If Villian had been more agressive on the flop you might have tried a check/raise. But armed with the information you have he may be on a WA/WB line so bet away. The three bet is fine and +EV in the long run. If Villian has AA he missed a bet.

3. should i have checked the river?

If paint hits in this situation you do have to worry about QQ and some TAGs will reraise with AQ especially AQs so checking seeems correct (even if weak and timid [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]).