Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Bush to nominate Alito to replace O\'Connor

Evidently you care. You set up a gimmick account. You replied. Therefore you care.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Evidently you care. You set up a gimmick account. You replied. Therefore you care.

[/ QUOTE ]

The weird part is he set up the gimmick account 2 months ago but didnt post until today
Old 10-31-2005, 11:37 AM

Some folks like to be prepared. Never can tell when you might need a "throw down."

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

p.s.
nice catch. I missed that part completely.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The weird part is he set up the gimmick account 2 months ago but didnt post until today

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been in exile. Now that the election thief's administration has been indicted, it is time to restore the true President to office. I'm coming out of exile!
Old 10-31-2005, 11:59 AM

So, you rilly wanna piece'a Hillary? (take that any way you want) Dude, she's gunna kikk yo butt! She is sooooooo pumped!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2005, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His dissent in Casey (an abortion case that eventually went up to the Supremes) made him a darling of the anti-abortion religious right, but just because the right-wing wingnuts like him doesn't mean he's not a worthy nominee.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a mistake that many on the Left make. You assume that if people don't like Roe, they must be a "religious right wing-nut" or some other similar title. There are many legal conservatives who oppose Roe based on their reading of the Constitution, not religion.

Many of the leading Conservative columnists who opposed Miers (Will, Krauthammer, Kristol, Frum) fall into this category.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let the battle begin! Everyone loves a good ole' DC mud fight (at least I do). I'm wagering Democrats come out on the losing end. I'm starting to think Cyrus was right all along.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cyrus is a Trotskyist, he's supposed to know the ins and outs of underhanded political maneuvering. Nonetheless, props to him.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:27 PM

When Alito was appointed to the Court of Appeals in 1990, he was confirmed (by a Democratic controlled senate) unanimously. I think it will be interesting to see what kind of spin Democrats who voted for him in 1990 put on their vote against him this time.

I think DVault is correct, the Dems will will end up looking bad before this is over.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Republicans voted for legally qualified liberal Ginsburg, so Democrats should vote for legally qualified conservative Alito. Simple as that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Republicans rubber stamped Ginsburg simply because she was qualified (the only qualification in the Constitution being that the person be learned in the law) then they were derelict in their duties, in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agree...

-Gryph
Old 10-31-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Let the bloodletting begin...

[ QUOTE ]
Bush to Nominate Alito

Nicknamed 'Sc-Alito' because his judicial philosophy invites comparisons to Justice Scalia.

Let the battle begin! Everyone loves a good ole' DC mud fight (at least I do). I'm wagering Democrats come out on the losing end. I'm starting to think Cyrus was right all along. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Honestly, I'm not quite as Machiavellian as Cyrus is - but I'm betting the conservative base will be all riled up for this battle; never a winning proposition for the Democrats, I'm sad to say. One too many Ben Nelsons and Joe Liebermans in this party. But you never know...we could all be talking about the nuclea...err, I mean 'constitutional' option soon enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just in case you didn't read the far left response

This is going to be awesome. Kind of reminds me of Michael Corleone talking with Clemenza before he goes after Sollozo and McCluskey.

The benches are going to clear...