Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 10-30-2005, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Isolating @ the bubble

[ QUOTE ]
as an aside you want him to call with Q9.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? You're crazy. That's a complete disaster. When UTG flips over A4o and the flop comes AQ3 I can promise you won't be giggling at his call.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:35 AM

That's what I thought too, figured I must've been missing something [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Yeah, on reflection I would say a call is better too.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:43 PM

It'd be terrible if he called with Q9. 88 doesn't fare that well against four overcards.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
as an aside you want him to call with Q9.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? You're crazy. That's a complete disaster. When UTG flips over A4o and the flop comes AQ3 I can promise you won't be giggling at his call.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah. get your money in while you're ahead.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It'd be terrible if he called with Q9. 88 doesn't fare that well against four overcards.

[/ QUOTE ]you're over 50% to double through to ~4500. even if shortie survives you have command.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:01 PM

still something I don't understand about you STT posters. completely different mindset from MTT and cash game players.

the only time I don't want the button to wake up is with an overpair. i will take him having two overs against whatever the shortie has all-in with 88 everytime.

the shortie does not even factor into this play. the only thing that matters is the button's stack and whether you want his cards to play or not. if you want to have him along for the ride in order to hopefully knock out the shortie then by all means call. but suppose the button has 77, you call and he bets the flop in order to knock you out rather than check it down? it happens alot more often than you would think.

I push, 88 vs a random hand is huge, and pick up the button's dead money. if the button wakes up with an overpair then oh well, I open up another tournament, if he decides to wake up with two overs then I'm >50 to become the huge stack and will most likely cruise to 1st place and at worst 2nd place.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]you're over 50% to double through to ~4500. even if shortie survives you have command.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not if the button calls, then you're more like 35% to double through.

If the button calls you with overcards it's very very bad for you. You're so unbelievably wrong on this point it's not even funny.

The only reason I can think to push here is if the button will interpret that as AA/KK and lay down anything he has. But then that makes UTG's equity shoot through the roof if he has two overcards.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:05 PM

Even if button wins this hand, it is positive for you. If you push and lose vs UTG it is negative for you, button and BB.

Sometimes you have a common interest with the other players of a SnG and you see players checking down a hand to get rid of another player.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
still something I don't understand about bubble play

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

[ QUOTE ]
completely different mindset from MTT and cash game players

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it's because STT concepts are completely different from those applicable to MTTs and cash games.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not if the button calls, then you're more like 35% to double through.

If the button calls you with overcards it's very very bad for you. You're so unbelievably wrong on this point it's not even funny.

The only reason I can think to push here is if the button will interpret that as AA/KK and lay down anything he has. But then that makes UTG's equity shoot through the roof if he has two overcards.

[/ QUOTE ]the short stacks cards don't matter. if the button willingly puts in money as a dog, that is good for you.