Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Folding AKs pre-flop

I think this is right, but would love comments.

Three left -- Blinds are 150/300 ante 50.

Hero +/- 2300
SB 650
BB +/- 12000

Hero (with the button) dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero raises 300 (to put SB all in if he calls)
SB folds
BB raises 1500 (to 2100)

Hero folds.

The question -- given relative chip stack, is the fold correct. My thought at the time, was that given my stack size, even doubling up doesn't give me enough of a chance at first to compensate for the possibility of finishing third rather than second.

Is my logic correct?
Old 10-24-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Folding AKs pre-flop

I'm going for first here... i call
Old 10-24-2005, 10:33 PM

I would push preflop to avoid something like this happening, and I might be wrong, but I still think that I'm pushing against his raise preflop.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:41 PM

I probably would have pushed preflop. But given your situation, I'm pretty sure this is a fold since the SB has less than 2 BB after folding.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:41 PM

1. Push preflop for christ!
2. I hate the fold. The difference between second and third prizes is small and doubling through gets you sitting at around 4500 chips and will drop the chip leader down to 10000ish, giving you a much better shot at first. I'd get it all in here every time, but I'd much prefer to have the folding equity to go along with my pot equity.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:44 PM

meant push... as for SB busting soon, that's exactly the reason why i take possible coinflip... possibly dominating.. I think this is a clear example of 1st or 3rd.. which is more valuable to me than 2nd
Old 10-24-2005, 10:52 PM

It's not just 1st or 3rd. Even if you do double up, you're still out stacked 2-1. Lets say you make it HU with a 2-1 disadvantage. You'll get first 1/3rd of the time and second 2/3rds of the time.

50*1/3 = 16.66
30*2/3 = 20

So $36.66 equity assuming you double up and shortie busts. So your actual equity is lower than that since you'll lose this all in a good chunk of the time. I'd rather take the very likely guaranteed $30 with a distant shot at $50.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:55 PM

This fold is terrible. There is very little difference between 2nd and 3rd place in terms of payout, as the difference between first and second is 2 times greater.

Oh, and push preflop.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:00 PM

I really disagree with all you guys here. Put the villian on a range. Run it through PokerStove. Get your equity for if you win or lose the all-in. Then determine the equity you'd have heads up. I thought this is a clear fold.

BTW, I think a reasonable range is 99+ AT+ KJ+. With this range, you're 62% to win.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really disagree with all you guys here. Put the villian on a range. Run it through PokerStove. Get your equity for if you win or lose the all-in. Then determine the equity you'd have heads up. I thought this is a clear fold.

BTW, I think a reasonable range is 99+ AT+ KJ+. With this range, you're 62% to win.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, maybe you're right. I don't really care, as I push preflop, which allows me to stop being restolen from, and also makes my decision easy.

Really, just push it.