Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 08:58 AM

Default Defend BB for steal HU with any two by Peter Rus

Defend BB for steal HU with any two.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Defend BB for steal HU with any two by Peter Rus

Nice find. Thanks, I'm not going senile and/or mad yet, thank god. I kept searching in Mid/High, that was the problem.

Very relevant thread, looks like cartman was going down a similar line of thought..... Looks like HUSH has it's own budding Peter_Rus [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 10:40 AM

Cartman,

I don't have access to my database right now, but just wanted to make a couple of comments.

It seems to me that we really should distinguish BB defense situations from where the button or co steals, and from where the SB raises. I don't know if such a distinction would change the analysis much, but I believe you need to keep that in mind before reaching any conclusions. I, for one, will defend my bb from sb raises with many more hands that I will when the steal comes from the button or co.

Also, if you ever feel you can draw any conclusions from your numbers, it would be great to go one step further and see if any conclusions can be made about whether it is better to 3-bet, or just call pf.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It seems to me that we really should distinguish BB defense situations from where the button or co steals, and from where the SB raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be wonderful and you are right, but the problem is that our sample sizes go from anemic to almost completely meaningless even when you look at the hands in groups.

Cartman
Old 10-26-2005, 04:29 AM

i agree that the sample sizes would be tiny when evaluating versus positional raises nonetheless i'm quite interested to know what people use as their guidelines to defend with versus various positional raises. any commentary on this would benefit me tremendously. thanks in advance.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:22 AM

I PM Peter Rus to find out if he did come to any conclusions with his experimenting., this is what he said, and said was ok to post here.

[ QUOTE ]
There were no final conclusions as i quit experimenting when moved completely to 30/60. Blind structure means a lot. Level of players also. As i face way better players than they were at 15/30 and SB is 16% lesser now - my play on blinds is more tight for now. FBB HU is around 29% and FSB around 68%.

I even start to fold some of the worst suited trash 3-way when original raiser has early position.
I'm still never fold my BB to SB raise and feel good about it.

I'm start to fold some small portion of uber trash at SB first in.

Well, i'm also raising KJs UTG routinely at full tables:-)

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-26-2005, 08:56 AM

Peter_Rus' experience is interesting, of course, but I have trouble drawing relevant conclusions for myself. Just because he is able to defend so much profitably hardly means that I can. Indeed, my bottom line numbers might well be worse if I tried to emulate his pf approach, because I play so much worse postflop.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Indeed, my bottom line numbers might well be worse if I tried to emulate his pf approach, because I play so much worse postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is as important as it is true. The tables are littered with the bones of players who try to play the same hands that their heroes play. Blind defense standards and other preflop strategy decisions should be made according to each of our expectations with them. That said, I still think we can learn some things by looking at the data of many players collectively.

Cartman
Old 10-26-2005, 09:23 AM

Peter Rus mainly played 2 tables, so therefore had better reads on his players, this is combined with him being a very good player.

I dont know if Cartman or Wynton play more than 2 tables at a time? If so, that factor alone would mean it would be wiser for you to play less hands than someone like Peter_Rus

I personally am looking to tighten up in the blinds, but Im always interested in what others play and how far the boundaries can be pushed, so if I do start to add hands, then Ill know where to add them.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Peter Rus mainly played 2 tables, so therefore had better reads on his players, this is combined with him being a very good player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use to play 2 tables only when it's SH. If it's full game i play 4 to 6 tables. I don't play SH much last half-year. This is one of the reasons i don't post much in HUSH.