Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 05:56 AM

Default High blinds, decent opponents, and running cold

Okay, I've stayed away from tourney's for a while and focused on cash games, but finally decided to take another shot at them. This situation comes up in virtually every tournament you're ever in, so I decided to pop the question and hope it generates some discussion.

The blinds are 400/800, or 800/1600 + antes, doesn't matter. Either way you're at about 15BB - a little less than average, some big stacks at the table. A lot of fish has been eliminated, the table has turned tight and very aggressive. You know you're nearing danger zone but not just quite there yet. To top it off, you're getting absolutely no "playable" hands that can stand any sort of a re-raise or getting played back at (i.e. 55, K9o or suited, A6s, 9Ts is as good as it gets).

How do you play? Raise in LP when folded to and hope no one plays back? Sit back and wait for a playable hand, then go with it to the end? Open-push every time? -those are the two extremes, I think-

Anyhow, I think it's a very common situation, and I'm very interested is hearing other posters' strategies for making the most out of it.

Kirk
Old 10-21-2005, 06:16 AM

Default Re: High blinds, decent opponents, and running cold

Depending if my opponents that are left in the hand likes to defend their blinds or are capable of making resteals I would be really careful making a go at the blinds with total junk. Most tables tho when it's late, are getting tighter so I usually bet out with junk at least 1 time each orbit and with somewhat useful cards 1 time each orbit. But I only do the betting with crap if I know my opponents won't fight back unless they have a hand.

A note here on the LP bet. I always do that if it's folded to me aslong as I know that if I get called, I have outs to make a nice hand. I love betting with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] from late position for example since 1), It's a damn easy hand to get rid of after the flop and 2) If it comes a ragged flop, my 6 may be there and the caller have no idea of that 3) Two hearts may come on the flop and 4) If a Q hits I may be ahead unless he called me with KQ and AQ. Depending on his stack I can rule this one out if he is shortstacked since he would probably push. With a medium stack it's kinda hard. A huge stack would prolly raise me.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:05 AM

I usually take shots from LP if I can identify some weak-tight players. If there is a big stack who has been playing aggressively to my left blind stealing becomes considerably harder. In this case I usually wait for a legitimate hand or wait for when he is out of a hand to attempt a steal.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If there is a big stack who has been playing aggressively to my left blind stealing becomes considerably harder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, that makes our life exponentially more difficult. As in, say, you're in MP2, folded to you... BB is a weak-tight short stack, but SB and Button are both aggressive players that will see your raise as a LP steal.

Say you pick up AJo-type hand and decide to make that play... now SB re-raises hard. Push and pray, or let it go?

Kirk
Old 10-21-2005, 09:55 AM

No you don't push and pray unless you are getting the right odds. First off stop being so scared to raise it up with Ax and T9s to steal blinds because you are afraid of getting played back at. You will get blinded down too quickly if this happens. It seems to me that you are not playing to win but holding on so that you move up in the win ladder that is definitely not the way to play. Identify who is playing tight and raise their blinds from mp,lp. Most people won't play back unless they have a very good hand in which case its an easy fold.