Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 10-13-2005, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Bad Cards Preferable?

I agree, but suggest a slight modification. There's no sharp distinction between normal and necessary pots. As your stack shrinks (or the blinds rise) you need to adjust your play.

Most Poker theory is based on long-run averages. That's fine if you're trying to maximize your lifetime Poker income. But in a tournament you may be down to 1 or 10 or 20 hands. Any time you get under 20, the short-term becomes significant.

Say, for example, you play 20% of your hands to maximize your long-term expected value. Out of 20 hands, 1% of the time you will get no playable cards, 6% of the time you will get only one hand, 15% of the time you will get only two. If you don’t hit flops, or if someone else has stronger cards, you’ll be out of the tournament without a real chance to play. At this point it can make sense to play a marginal hand, or play an unexpected hand in a large pot, or bluff.

If you don’t adjust when you can afford to fold 20 hands in a row, you’ll have to make a larger adjustment when you can only afford to fold 10. The other players will be more suspicious, so it’s less likely to work. Moreover, with some extra money, you can do something more than just going all-in at the start. That gives you some playing flexibility.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:23 PM

I think you made the absolute right play, and i'll tell you why. Whenever you have 1 blind or less left in chips, you will most likely bust on the next hand you play, and even if you double up that will still put you in the same position you were in. Your best hope in that situation is to get your chip in a multi-way pot.

If I was in your same situation, and 4 people limped in front of you, i'd call with any two. The fact that you had 53o is a bonus because it is highly unlikely that you were dominated (unless a limper had A3 or A5). I'd like that hand better than a dry A or K, which most likely WOULD be dominated. As long as you are not dominated, you might even have pot odds.
So, I'd definitely call there because you may not get a chance to get the money in a multi-way pot again.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:54 PM

I agree with hobart. What good is doubling up to two chips? If I'm on the button with a bunch of limpers I'll play 5-3 o/s any day, especially if it means I'll get six times the amount of chips I put in when I'm short stacked. If he wants any chance at winning the tourney he has to make a move at some point, and at this point he's getting odds.