Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

View Poll Results: Should Party and skins allow data mining?
Yes 67 45.89%
No 79 54.11%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2005, 06:20 PM

Default How many people are \'certain\' about god?

Forget whether you can be certain about something that can't be proven or disproven - just give your heartfelt answer.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Re: How many people are \'certain\' about god?

As certainty is closely related to proof, I dont see how I can vote on one while forgeting the other.

'heartfelt answer' - doesn't that justify what I suggested earlier, that this certainty of which you speak hasn't any rational content (more of an emotional outburst).

chez
Old 10-08-2005, 07:11 PM

Based on my current assesment of the evidence, or lack thereof, I'd have to say I do not believe there is a god. If the evidence changes, I am open to changing my perspective.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:44 PM

anbody who is certain there is a God or who is certain there isn't a God, is simply, an idiot.

No way to know, one way or the other.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anbody who is certain there is a God or who is certain there isn't a God, is simply, an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was not meant to be that kind of post - but since you started it, would you call someone who is certain that the Universe was not created by a one-eyed Unicorn an idiot? No way to know, one way or the other.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was not meant to be that kind of post - but since you started it, would you call someone who is certain that the Universe was not created by a one-eyed Unicorn an idiot? No way to know, one way or the other.

[/ QUOTE ]All unicorns have one eye, idiot.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when? Are you thinking of a cyclops? Unicorns have one horn - idiot.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when? Are you thinking of a cyclops? Unicorns have one horn - idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

The trouble is they think they're horses and by the time they realise their msitake they only have one eye.

chez
Old 10-08-2005, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am as certain that all the gods that humans have ever believed in are fictional as I am of the reality of my perception. So I guess that's like 99.9999999999999% or something like that. Funny thing though, I have "seen" things that were not "real", and jumbled the spoken words of others so that what I heard was not what was said, meaning that my perception is fallible and finite. Things could exist the likes of which I can't even imagine. In that sense, I'm not absolutely certain about anything.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:00 AM

As a young child, I struggled with my certainty of everything. I wasn't certain that Germany or England or anywhere outside of North America existed. And I had a strong doubt. I even questioned everyone else's existence as being independent of my own. I've gotten over it for the most part and can function in society, but I'm still not certain that I'm not a limbless torso in a hospital bed hooked up to a bunch of computers and machines. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]