Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 10:39 AM

Default How do you work on your postflop game?

Little Background: I was a winning limit player, spent 6 months at the $6's on PP for about a 15% ROI (damn rake!), and have now been at the $11's for about 2 months - with a positive ROI that I know is unsustainable in the long run.

However, I play the basic formula - tight in Lvs 1 - 3, open up a little bit in Lv 4, with a lot of pushing and raise/continuation bets.

My weakness is post-flop play, and I would bet that a lot of other STT players in the lower buy-ins have a similar problem. My question to the more experienced post-flop players - how did you get to that level of experience?

I'm thinking about adding either low buy-in cash games or MTTs on the side for the sole purpose of getting post-flop practice. Even if I break-even or lose a little, I think it will be profitable in the long run.

Other than the obvious posting hands and offering/reading feedback, I'd like to hear all suggestions...
Old 10-08-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Re: How do you work on your postflop game?

I would try short-handed $25 nl tables. Or, start limping or raising (first in in mid to late position) with a wider range of hands. Don't be afraid to bet the flop, and try to get a feel for when you are behind.

It's like anything else, takes practice. Since the play is different in the sng's, If imrpoving in sng's is you main goal, I'd practice there. If getting better at poker is your goal, either is fine.

Steve
Old 10-08-2005, 10:56 AM

Play some short handed NL for stakes you're comfortable with.

You may also want to read Pot limit and No limit Holdem by Bob Ciaffone and Stewart Reuben.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:02 PM

Great question. I also need to improve my postflop game. I'm actually playing my NL game just with my experience and 'feel' (and this forum of course). I've never read any books about it like I have with limit.

I think I'll start playing some SH $25NL then.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:10 PM

I work on my postflop game by trying really hard every time I get it postflop in a SNG. There are specific SNG considerations to most postflop hands so $25NL or whatever doesn't help as much as everyone says. Also, be a little less afraid to play the hand out postflop and you'll find lots of opportunites for practice and profit along the way.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:14 PM

Set up an account at one of the sites that starts you with deeper stacks, Stars and UB being a couple of examples.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:15 PM

Playing on Stars or UB helps with post flop play, since their structures involve such play.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:18 PM

Hm.. yeah I think playing at stars is actually better than NL cash games. I guess we'd have to play the non-turbo ones then too.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hm.. yeah I think playing at stars is actually better than NL cash games. I guess we'd have to play the non-turbo ones then too.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i play the stars non-turbo ones and this has definetely helped my post-flop play. Also, the "edge" obtained by having such play (especially at the lower levels) makes ROI's in the range of 30-50% sustainable IMO. Of course, they are longer games though.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:27 PM

1. Buy Harrington on Hold 'Em.
2. Play NL ring games.
3. Deposit some on Full Tilt. 1500 chips and more fish than PS or UB, plus you get bonus for tournaments.
4. Expect to be better six months from now
5. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Post-flop play just takes more experience. That's why there's very little literature out there which deals with it. Harrington does the best job of anything I've read. Vol 1 is amazing.

Good luck

CJ