Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Three-bet the turn with one pair?

[ QUOTE ]
I like to 3 bet the turn instead of the river, that way I get the bets from a semibluff now

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-28-2005, 04:38 PM

Thanks, I missed that.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:41 PM

no problem it was a long post, and that probably got buried in there.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is that I also feel like it is borderline criminal to fold an overpair heads up unless the board is REALLY bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's borderline criminal to be unable to fold hands in spots where you know you're beat, HU or not.

Obviously knowing if you're beat is tricky vs. decent players though.

I 3-bet the turn, if he caps I think you can consider folding the turn unimproved. Question seems to be "is he agressive enough to cap the turn with AQ or something like AdJd?"

I think this almost plays easier with AQ because it means that it's harder to put HIM on AQ or QJ and it might be easier to find a river fold.

(all this said, I'd wager you don't get capped a lot on the turn and don't have to worry about this here folding).
Old 09-28-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're unable to fold to either a river 3-bet or a turn cap...

[/ QUOTE ]

first of all he shouldn´t fold to a Turn cap as he often has plenty of outs to improve if behind.
personally I think raising the turn is the preferrable move as often he is ahead here and when he is not and it gets capped he has outs to improve. getting 3-bet on the river sucks and would merit a fold against most opponents
Old 09-28-2005, 06:56 PM

QJ is a very likely hand imo. Folding the turn is out of the question as we prob have at least 8 outs if we are behind. Given that information i still cant say where best to raise. If the board pairs (non Q or J) im raising the river and calling a 3bet.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:08 PM

Cartman,

I 3bet the turn here. If villain is aggressive I'll 3bet AQ here as well, because HU there are so many worse hands that will raise, including many semibluffs. He will be dealing with you as if you had overs, and sometimes a pair, so we must react accordingly (at 10/20).

Your recent posts have been top-notch, and are thought-provoking (though difficult to answer at times... ask easy questions damnit!) Keep up the good work.

Surf
Old 09-28-2005, 07:09 PM

With your read I 3 bet the turn and call down if capped.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The general concensus looks split between the turn and the river. If this is so, then it becomes a CLEAR turn raise.

No one mentioned (or at least I didn't see it) the implications of a missed bet on a semi-bluff. If villain has KT, T9 or some diamond hand, he will 100% pay on the turn, but not on the river.

Assuming everything else is equal, this factor alone should be enough to sway the play to a turn raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's very rare that you are not getting a continuation bet either way, so you make 3 bets in either case.

If you wait until the river and he pairs up after a turn semi-bluff, he is probably calling that river raise out of curiosity and earning you a 4th bet, but if you turn 3 bet he can probably consider a single pair no good and safely fold the river. You are also more likely to not be 3 bet by a 2 pair hand on a river raise so you lose 4 bets when behind instead of 5 (if he were to have capped the turn). Lastly, he may fold to a turn 3 bet and you only grab 2 bets, whereas waiting to the river gets you at least 3 and maybe 4 bets if you get that curiosity call.

I like a river raise here more often than not, I don't think it's that close.

Nigel
Old 09-28-2005, 07:13 PM

If you raise the river, do you call his raise? What flavors of rivers don't you raise? Do you raise a diamond?

If the guy is good enough to fold a queen on the river after a turn 3-bet, then this has more merit, but I would guess that he's not.