Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: DeLay Indicted

[ QUOTE ]

It won't take ten years for the "Ronnie Earle is staging a poltical witchhunt/Tom DeLay is a victim" and "Democrats using the courts to do what they couldn't do at the ballot box" become part of the political lexicon. I give it until the weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah I'm just saying the light of truth will not be shone in the minds of those people on this issue for at least ten years, when it no longer matters.

Sorta like the flimsy evidence to preemptively invade Iraq. Sure, people on the right can admit the evidence was flimsy now, but it doesn't matter any more.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: DeLay Indicted

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

It won't take ten years for the "Ronnie Earle is staging a poltical witchhunt/Tom DeLay is a victim" and "Democrats using the courts to do what they couldn't do at the ballot box" become part of the political lexicon. I give it until the weekend.

Yeah I'm just saying the light of truth will not be shone in the minds of those people on this issue for at least ten years, when it no longer matters.

Sorta like the flimsy evidence to preemptively invade Iraq. Sure, people on the right can admit the evidence was flimsy now, but it doesn't matter any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

another possibility is that the right could decide that the evidence against delay is damming, and will be jumping off that train like rats off of a sinking ship [/mixing metaphors].
Old 09-28-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Ronnie Earle: Partisan Democrat Hack

This is just another Ronnie Earle special.
He indicted Kay Baily Hutchenson (now a US TX Senator) as well. After weeks of mugging for the camera and bragging about her supposed crimes, Ronnie Earle dropped his case the DAY it was suppose to go to court. He explained to the press that he FEARED the judge would not allow certain 'evidence' so pursuing a case against her was not proceed. Huh?!

Once again he is getting his name in the papers at Tom DeLay's expense. If you ever look at a red/blue map of Texas you will see an island of blue in the central part of Texas. That is Travis County a major democratic stronghold. No other DA would pursue these silly charges.

These silly partisan tactics will fire up the militant democratic base but in the end NOTHING will happen to DeLay. "Conspiracy" charges are usually pretty nebulous charges that DAs love to put on indictments.

By the way have you noticed the Florida DAs have been strangely silent about the Rush Limbaugh case? Their fishing expedition has faired poorly. The Tom DeLay case will fade away just like the Rush Limbaugh case. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Ronnie Earle: Partisan Democrat Hack

[ QUOTE ]
He indicted Kay Baily Hutchenson (now a US TX Senator) as well. After weeks of mugging for the camera and bragging about her supposed crimes, Ronnie Earle dropped his case the DAY it was suppose to go to court. He explained to the press that he FEARED the judge would not allow certain 'evidence' so pursuing a case against her was not proceed. Huh?!

Once again he is getting his name in the papers at Tom DeLay's expense. If you ever look at a red/blue map of Texas you will see an island of blue in the central part of Texas. That is Travis County a major democratic stronghold. No other DA would pursue these silly charges.

These silly partisan tactics will fire up the militant democratic base but in the end NOTHING will happen to DeLay. "Conspiracy" charges are usually pretty nebulous charges that DAs love to put on indictments.

By the way have you noticed the Florida DAs have been strangely silent about the Rush Limbaugh case? Their fishing expedition has faired poorly. The Tom DeLay case will fade away just like the Rush Limbaugh case. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

As if on cue.

Care to read Gray's earlier post and respond? Haha, course not.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:50 PM

Ronnie Earle has a history of using his office to attack his political enemies. Earle got in a feud with Bob Bullock (who later became the TX Lt. Gov) and Earle use his office to go after him.

The first time you can claim maybe he is not abusing his office (Bob Bullock).
The second time, you start getting suspicious (Kay Baily Hutchnson).
The third time, you have a pattern (Tom DeLay).

And these examples are just off the top of my head. I bet if I put some time to do research there would be a lot more. Save this post and carve it in stone.........Nothing will happen to DeLay and he will be found not guilty. I wonder if Earle will decide to drop the case the day the trial is suppose to start. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As if on cue.

Care to read Gray's earlier post and respond? Haha, course not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lay off him, he's just being a good little Hitler Youth and regurgitating the talking points that Rush gave him.

Seriously, notice how not one of his arguments has anything to do with whether this particular case has any merit. No matter what one thinks of Ronnie Earl, DeLay was indicted by an ostensibly non-partisan grand jury. The grand jury didn't indict DeLay on all of the charges, or even on a majority of the charges, so I don't think the grand jury had any sort of partisan axe to grind. Still, I'm sure we're going to hear that argument also.

When it comes down to it, I'll be pretty surprised if DeLay is convicted, regardless of the merits of the case against him. DeLay has more than enough money to assemble a legal team that will eat Ronnnie Earle's lunch.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:14 PM

Since you're in Texas, Felix, perhaps you can tell us all where Mr. Earle took all of the grand jurors for dinner so he could wine and dine them into voting to indict Mr. DeLay.

You are aware that these charges are the result of evidence being presented to a grand jury, aren't you?
Old 09-28-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Indicting a Ham Sandwich

There is a joke among DAs that they could get a Grand Jury to indict a ham sandwich. The reason for this is there are strict limitations on how the indicted person may defend themselves in front of a Grand Jury. ACTUALLY, in legal circles when a Grand Jury "no bills" a defendent, it is considered a MAJOR DEFEAT for the DA. Indicting Tom DeLay on conspiracy charges was no big deal from a 'legal' standpoint. If Tom DeLay was truly "No Billed" on the other charges then this was a major legal victory by Delay..... It shows that Earle brought several baseless charges against him. If anything it shows that Ronnie Earle was overplaying his hand on those other charges.

The more info I hear about this, the more I am convinced that DeLay will breeze through this situation without a scratch.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Indicting a Ham Sandwich

[ QUOTE ]
There is a joke among DAs that they could get a Grand Jury to indict a ham sandwich. The reason for this is there are strict limitations on how the indicted person may defend themselves in front of a Grand Jury. ACTUALLY, in legal circles when a Grand Jury "no bills" a defendent, it is considered a MAJOR DEFEAT for the DA. Indicting Tom DeLay on conspiracy charges was no big deal from a 'legal' standpoint. If Tom DeLay was truly "No Billed" on the other charges then this was a major legal victory by Delay..... It shows that Earle brought several baseless charges against him. If anything it shows that Ronnie Earle was overplaying his hand on those other charges.

The more info I hear about this, the more I am convinced that DeLay will breeze through this situation without a scratch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur... the way that finance reform was phrased... everyone is cheating the system. Delay will sweep out of this without a scratch... and he'll be able to play up the witch-hunt "tag-line" during his next election.

Suprise- suprise... another blow for the largest lobby in the world.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:26 PM

Read my post about "Indicting a Ham Sandwich". If you have any friends who are lawyers ask them about the Grand Jury process. You will find that when a defendent is "no billed" it is a relatively rare phenominem(sp?). From what I have been told. DeLay was "no billed" on all but one charge (conspiracy). Ronnie Earle suffered a major legal defeat ONLY getting one indictment.