Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Hey Man, Don\'t Look At My Other Card

I bet the river heads up against a local here in Los Angeles (who I play with all the time), and he folded. The dealer pushed me the pot and I showed one of my cards, then tossed both cards to the dealer face down. The guy (who is nice and was just having a little fun) reached over and peeked at my other card.

No biggie, I didn't really care, but of course I made a big production out of it, called the floor over, and told the guy he had to give me a yellow chip for his foul. Anyhoo, the floor came over and said the player actually had the right to look at my other card once I had exposed one of them.

WTF?

Sparks
Old 09-23-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Hey Man, Don\'t Look At My Other Card

he made an incorrect ruling. are you really that suprised?

rj
Old 09-23-2005, 08:35 PM

at Canterbury, it's show one, show both - it's also show one, show all... - but that's in a showdown, not to a folded river bet - if he don't pay, he has no right to see a card....

However, to GRAB the card and do it is BS - you tell the dealer you want to see the other card and let him flip it...

ah well...

RB
Old 09-23-2005, 08:53 PM

How come, since you were in such a jovial mood, didn't you just reach across the table and bitch-slap him? Then, in a very jovial way, explain to the donk that he hadn't paid to see any card you didn't choose to show him. Laughingly, of course. And if he can't take a joke, tuff.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he folded

[/ QUOTE ]
Therefore he has no right to see your cards.

[ QUOTE ]
The guy...reached over and peeked at my other card.

[/ QUOTE ]
This would result in a "Please, don't EVER touch another players cards Sir" from me if I was dealing.

[ QUOTE ]
the floor came over and said the player actually had the right to look at my other card once I had exposed one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Never heared of this "rule" before. Could be a house rule I guess.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
at Canterbury, it's show one, show both - it's also show one, show all... - but that's in a showdown, not to a folded river bet - if he don't pay, he has no right to see a card....

However, to GRAB the card and do it is BS - you tell the dealer you want to see the other card and let him flip it...

ah well...

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen this rule play at CP myself. If a player shows one card, other players have a "right" to see both. Some dealers will automatically flip up both, others will do it if asked. I think it has to do with a misguided attempt to avoid taunting. I like "show one, show all" to keep one player from having the advantage of seeing another player's cards, but I think showing one card to the whole table should be fine. Taunting is all part of the game.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:31 AM

they screwed up one night - let a guy do something he wasn't supposed to do.

About 3 yrs. ago I was there and I had this guy on my right who, preflop, would turn over an A in his hand, place it face up on the table, and raise. He wasn't mucking, but he was showing one card during the hand.

Nowadays, all rules generally don't allow you to do that - if you show cards before the last river bet the hand is considered dead in tournaments and most limit games. But back then they let him do it about every time as I recall that night.

RB
Old 09-24-2005, 05:34 PM

ive heard it repeated by a few dealers at commerce when this happens "show one show all" - maybe its the rule
Old 09-24-2005, 05:46 PM

It is correct, you show one you must show both. At some CA card rooms if you only show one your hand is ruled dead.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:04 PM

This is a bastardization of the "show one show all" rule.

See, if you show your hand to one player, everybody has the right to see it. Tons of people know this, and have simplified it as "show one show all".

The "one" or "all" refers to people, not cards. But "show one show all" is heard often enough that people thin it refers to cards. Seriously, you can't play for an hour live without hearing this phrase.

However, in (I assume) most places, the "show one show all" rule refers ONLY to people, not cards. I have checked the rulebook at one of the LA cardbarns, and I'm 100% certain this is the rule at that cardbarn. I assume it is true at others as well. The bastardization of the rule is just very rampant, to the point that floorpersons and dealers think it's a rule.

To prevent any confusion, when I want to show one card in this situation, I muck the card I don't want to show. After it hits the muck, I turn over the card I want exposed.

Josh