Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 12:06 PM

Default TPTK gets put to a hard decision

The Villain is extremely TAG. He open-raised several times in LP after everyone folded to him. I called twice on Button, and took it down with a bet on the flop both times. Then this...

On the flop I insta-called since I was fairly sure that I still had the best hand and he was just sick of me taking away "his" pots. His all-in on the turn, however, was a curveball.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) converter

Button (t910)
SB (t4170)
Hero (t2635)
UTG (t940)
UTG+1 (t1785)
MP1 (t2175)
MP2 (t2510)
MP3 (t4345)
CO (t1475)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t300</font>, Hero calls t200.

Flop: (t600) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t400</font>, Hero calls t400.

Turn: (t1400) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t3470 (All-In)</font>,
Old 09-19-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Re: TPTK gets put to a hard decision

With your read and that turn push, this has got to be a fold....if you called i expect to see 67 or the like.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:16 PM

I'm dumping this in a heartbeat. Not every pre-flop raise is a steal attempt. He could have anything, but in this situation, I'm assuming he's protecting a decent pocket pair with his push. If he has trips or a straight, and he's scared of that second spade, he might push to shut you down. Either way, you're toast. Now, he could be running a stone bluff, but with a pair of 7s I'm not taking that risk. There's too many ways for you to lose this one.
He may have been setting you up for this moment. Hell, I probably wouldn't have called the flop.

Sevens is an easy hand for me to dump.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:27 PM

Default RESULTS

Well, I finally decided for whatever reason than an overpair here is just not likely enough, and getting 2:1 on a call, I called. He had A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for a huge draw on the turn that never made it, and I took the pot.

I think getting 2:1 on a call there it was marginally okay, but I could easily be wrong. Thanks for the responses.

Kirk
Old 09-20-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

You probably had a solid read on him. Good job. Or, should I say, "good result."
Old 09-20-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

Mixture of both. Usually is [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2005, 08:36 PM

This is either one hell of a read or one hell of a lousy play.

If your read really is that solid, then my hat's off to you. But I don't think I could read my own grandma well enough to call that flop bet, or the turn push.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:44 AM

The flop call wasn't bad - there's 13 scare cards I can use on the turn to take it down, an Ace, plus the chance that I still have the best hand and he's simply betting a "raggy" flop against a random hand (perfectly reasonable play).

What I guess you guys are saying is that i will be beat on that turn push more than 66% of the time, since I only need to win 1/3 to break even. That could very well be true. That's why I posted the hand.

Kirk