Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Is it even possible to do 4+ tables of stud?

I can do 4-6 tables of LHE or 4 of NLHE without much difficulty. If I'm playing stud 3 seems to be my max, and I don't see how it's possible to remember dead cards on 3 tables. Are any of you able to play 4-6 tables proficiently? Is this even possible for most people?
Old 09-09-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Is it even possible to do 4+ tables of stud?

Lots of stud players here play 3-4 tables at a time.... however they don't play that many tables of stud.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:32 PM

i play four tables of stud at a time quite often. weather or not i do it well is a whole 'nother question.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:33 PM

I've been thinking about this some more. I don't see why it should be hard if you just devote a 2nd monitor that can have fake copies of each hand in action and list all dead cards. I have a computer....I should use it.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can do 4-6 tables of LHE or 4 of NLHE without much difficulty. If I'm playing stud 3 seems to be my max, and I don't see how it's possible to remember dead cards on 3 tables. Are any of you able to play 4-6 tables proficiently? Is this even possible for most people?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried multi-tabling, and I just don't think it can be done well. Yeah, it can really improve your starting hand discipline, but remember: the advantages that starting hands have over others are much slimmer than in HE. So you may gain a little there, but you lose out on some of the more subtle things that make a really good stud player, namely:
- reads on other players and their style. If you multi-table, you're not gonna pickup on your opponents who: slow play big pairs on 3rd, overplay small pairs, raise/jam draws, value bet, steal antes, traps, etc etc etc.
- following dead cards. Yeah, tracking software can do this, but even then you're not remember the dead cards in the context of your opponents possible holdings, which I think is more valuable.

I think you'll make more play solidly at 1 table than so-so at multiple tables.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been thinking about this some more. I don't see why it should be hard if you just devote a 2nd monitor that can have fake copies of each hand in action and list all dead cards. I have a computer....I should use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I figued you'd try regardless of the advice you got here. Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:27 PM

I know I give up some edge on reads, but overall I gain much more expectation. My game selection is pretty good, and it's pretty easy to get a read on the weakest players fairly quick.

I know a lot of people here play for love of the game or satisfaction of playing well, I'm not one of those. I have no problem giving up some edges if gives more expectation overall.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:46 AM

2 tables are certainly quite possible, but i think beyond that play will deteriorate. Too much information will be lost and that is what stud is all about, information.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:56 AM

I have played 4 tables of Stud/8 while playing 4 tables of Omaha/8

It's alright
Old 09-10-2005, 12:58 AM

Hypothetical question that ends this debate. Would you rather play your A game against a weak player? Or your B- game against a horrible player?