Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 11:05 PM

Default AK suited vs. ridiculous overbet...Super Monday

I'm at a little over 3500 at 25/50 blinds. I've been fairly aggressive and people haven't really been playing back. However, this is the main villain's first hand at the table. UTG+1 and 2 have been here a while, are semi-loose but pretty passive.

Hero UTG (3615)
UTG+1 (1720)
UTG+2 (1735)
Villain CO (3210)

Preflop:
Hero raises to T150 with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Villain raises to T3210 (all-in)
Hero...?

Steve
Old 09-05-2005, 11:08 PM

Default Re: AK suited vs. ridiculous overbet...Super Monday

Fold.
It looks like it may be JJ or something but you're doing well and I wouldn't risk it on what's probably a coinflip at best.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:04 AM

If you think he has JJ, why fold? I'd be all in in a heartbeat if I put him on JJ, dead money in the pot...

Read dependent. would this player do this with AA or KK? If you answer "yes", or "I don't know", it may be a fold.

Otherwise push...
Old 09-06-2005, 12:08 AM

push
Old 09-06-2005, 12:16 AM

Mike, calling versus a JJ here is a terrible move. Still very early in the tourney, why would you want to take a coinflip? Theres only five hundred in there as dead money anyways. This is an easy fold, the only hands you'd want to call against are AJ or AQ. Stop thinking of it as a money game, the goal isnt to get in there with some tiny edge.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mike, calling versus a JJ here is a terrible move. Still very early in the tourney, why would you want to take a coinflip? Theres only five hundred in there as dead money anyways. This is an easy fold, the only hands you'd want to call against are AJ or AQ. Stop thinking of it as a money game, the goal isnt to get in there with some tiny edge.

[/ QUOTE ]yes it is
Old 09-06-2005, 12:19 AM

Only over-zealous beginners would go all-in on KK-AA.. and I mean just starting out.. I'd call
Old 09-06-2005, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm taking a coin-flip any day.. that's how you win tournaments.. if you're going to fold AKs, why play to win?
Old 09-06-2005, 12:25 AM

you're supposed to push small edges early in tournaments, and try and accumulate a lot of chips....

I push here
Old 09-06-2005, 12:31 AM

Default RESULTS

Thanks for the replies. I really had trouble putting him on a hand (given there is no hand I would play that way). I ended up deciding it was probably AK or a mid pair. Also, I couldn't get the idea of some guy who's heard about this great thing called a squeeze play where you push over a raise and a couple calls...so I called. He had 66 and I won the flip. When I thought about it afterwards, it seemed a little crazy to put my entire stack at risk at that point. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who would!

Steve